The consequence thread (Brexit)

You seem to think that we'll need more than two years? Knowing the EU, it'll be them that slow the process down.

I wonder what the legal ramifications are if the EU doesn't complete it's side of Article 50 within the two year timescale.

As far as I can see there are none. They can cheerfully shaft us if they so choose. Personally I would negotiate the withdrawal agreement and only trigger A50 once its been agreed by the MS. 2 years is the maximum (without extension) but there is no minimum. So we can agree everything and trigger A50 at the withdrawal agreement signing ceremony if we want. Juncker knows this hence he is spitting feathers and demanding we trigger A50 now.

I wonder what the legal ramifications are if the EU doesn't complete it's side of Article 50 within the two year timescale.
The negotiations continue. But with the UK on the outside rather than still in, if there is no extension. And thus with the UK compelled to implement WTO rules (and tariffs) overnight.

It's not in the UK's economic interest to stall, due to the ongoing effect of uncertainty on markets, investments (foreign and domestic) and more, whilever Art.50 isn't triggered and for however long it then takes to finalise a deal. It is in the EU and the 27's interest to stall, given the above paragraph.

Edited by L00b

It depend on what is agreed. If no agreement to extend the deadline is made then it is an automatic out after 2 years.

Yep. Reading the (very short) article itself, if the deadline is to be extended then it has to be in agreement with the EU and the member state. So if the EU isn't ready for Brexit after two years and want more time, we can disagree and leave them in whatever condition they are in.

There is every chance that this will cause a crumbling of the EU. If you look at history then you can't say that armed conflict is out of the bounds of the possible.

Yes, I can quite imagine fisticuffs at Wetherspoons ;)

Yep. Reading the (very short) article itself, if the deadline is to be extended then it has to be in agreement with the EU and the member state. So if the EU isn't ready for Brexit after two years and want more time, we can disagree and leave them in whatever condition they are in.
You've not really thought this through, much, have you?

:hihi:

You've not really thought this through, much, have you?

:hihi:

I'm thinking of it from both sides. Both the UK and the EU are entering an unknown period, and the whole protracted process of leaving the union is documented in five paragraphs. For some reason people seem to think the UK won't be able to achieve it in two years, yet the EU will and be sat there twiddling their thumbs once the two year deadline is reached.

I would be interested to find out whether the Remainers who called the Brexiters fascists (I know they're a minority), are the same ones now trying to get around the referendum result.

It's my experience that people who call their political opponents fascists and such are usually the ones with the least respect for democracy.

My main debate opponents, L00b, I1L2T3 and tzistra to name the key ones, made a reasoned principled cased to remain and accepted the result as the will of the people. When I though remain had won, I did the same. What the hell is wrong with some people.

And you'd believe them? After this campaign I wouldn't believe any politician from any party. Liars all.

The referendum has energised more people to vote - a good thing.

The performance of the leading politicians on both sides will set politics back for years - a very bad thing