Roadwork barriers

No matter where you travel in Sheffield there are Amey barriers all over the place. There must be thousands across the city. Do they ever finish anything off?

First someone comes to mark it out

Weeks later the 3 man dig team arrive

Then the team arrives to put the new post in

Left a bit longer and a team comes to put the actual lamp top on

Left a bit longer then the backfill team arrive

Left again for the tarmac team

They finally a team to remove thr old light

It must take them at least 2 months to complete a renewal.

Yes I know it will all be worth it in the end but it must be costing a massive chunk out of the budget to buy all the barriers and what happens to them when all the lights are in?

No matter where you travel in Sheffield there are Amey barriers all over the place. There must be thousands across the city. Do they ever finish anything off?

Yes I know it will all be worth it in the end but it must be costing a massive chunk out of the budget to buy all the barriers and what happens to them when all the lights are in?

So, apparently they do finish it off then.

as the street lighting is appauling

Usually because they've already ripped out the old street light and are waiting a while before installing the new one.

It always makes me laugh some of the excuses used, recently I saw one excuse was they were "waiting for parts"

Considering they're replacing all the street lights in the city you would have thought there'd be a warehouse full of parts available to fit a new one????

So many different subcontractors involved in renewing streetlights I think Amey now have no idea who is doing what or where or when. New lights on Burncross Road have been working for about 6 weeks now yet most still have holes around them. Perhaps there is a world wide shortage of rubble used to fill in the holes, or if they are short of a bit of tarmac Wickes and B&Q sell smallish bags of it.

Also in places the pavement is now very narrow due to said holes and barriers I have seen a few persons with prams having to walk in the road to get round the obstructions. I bet if I left smething out obstructing the pavement the DDA stormtroopers would be on me like a ton of bricks!!

Two months? Luxury.

The hole outside our house has been there since early May!

And you missed the bit where they drill through your electricity cable and then, a few weeks later, your gas pipe.

Further to our email dated 6 July 2014, please accept our apologies for the delay in responding.

We are sorry to hear that you lost the electricity supply to your properties and also that damage was caused to the gas pipe of your property as a result of these street lighting works.

The excavations are left open after the new lighting columns are erected to enable the underground services to be connected by our service provider, Northern Power Grid (NPG). For health and safety reasons barriers have to be erected and the positions change as work progresses. However, we do try to maintain access at all times. We do try to programme our works so that there is a minimal delay between our installation and connections. Unfortunately, this is not always possible and we apologise for any inconvenience caused to residents.

Our operatives complete a site assessment on every site and are instructed to leave all working sites safe and tidy and ensure pedestrian movement and access is maintained at all times.

With regard to the new posts being silver and not black, these are delivered from the supplier unpainted. Our maintenance manager is arranging for all these posts to be painted by an outside company. Unfortunately, we do not have a timescale at this moment in time but please be assured this will be carried out as soon as operationally possible.

Please be assured that we can access the electricity supply.

We can confirm that any damage, if caused, or extra cost will be incurred by the subcontractors that caused the damage and will not be paid for by the tax payer.

We can also confirm that the street lighting works on Carter Knowle Road are almost complete, and the backfilling of the holes is due to be undertaken tomorrow, 19 July 2014.

Cobblers.

The hole is still there, the post is still unpainted and the lamp is still not connected to the power supply.

Edited by Lockjaw

Lockjaw - I have found the only way to get these 'forgotten jobs' completed is via my local councillors. We had numerous unfinished bits around for a while, but after I made the contact things got sorted reasonably quickly. All apart from an unrelated problem - see the thread re the Dore Station bus stop.