Drug prohibition costs lives

you got a link to where in google you got that from?

Can't you find your own link? Haha!

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 23:11 ----------

Why the hell would you put non prescribed drugs in your body in order to alter your state of mind?

It's been common practice for hundreds of thousands of years.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 23:15 ----------

It the public perception of drugs that is the key. A poster said earlier that the war on drugs cannot be won. Maybe, but the war on educating children on the peril of its misuse is alive and kicking.

That's the most sensible thing you've ever said on here.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 23:21 ----------

Maybe you should pop down to one of my outpatient days, and see just how well drugs affect recreational users. When you have the parents of a 19yr old sobbing in your office whilst their post graduate son is grabbing his mother by the throat.

Education and a widespread witch-hunt of the dealers, support for families and the addicted relatives. And criminalization of those who promote it as "recreational"

Nobody has any idea of what these dealers and part time club captains are pushing, and its always someones elses problem to clear up the mess. If I can break the habit of just one person, it makes my job worthwhile but for every one addict that is cleaned, there are another ten being promoted into the mix by the scandalous notion that drugs are "Recreational"

I know exactly how addiction can harm people. I've been an addict myself. I used to take pills like they were going out of fashion. It wasn't until I lost my best friend through suicide that I stopped. If it wasn't for his death it would have been me instead.

I think all drugs should be decriminalised. Heroin prescribed to addicts and softer drugs sold by registered outlets (none profit ones).

I think, as you've said, education is key and total abstinence, with guidance, is the best treatment for addicts.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 23:24 ----------

So the drug dealers will either disappear or be the next Scottish & Newcastle or the next british american tobacco? You have a significant number of criminals making serious money, some of it no doubt to fund terrorism. They aren't going to just go away.

If they've got terrorists to fund, what will they do once their trade becomes legal? Become bankers?

That's the most sensible thing you've ever said on here.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 23:21 ----------

[/color]

It might be sensible/genuine and believeable if he/she backed it up (I'll use he), instead of what he said later which contradicted himself when he a). implied and grouped all illegal drugs as the same, and b). when in the same post grouped all drug takers as the same (addicts).

Since he didn't do that, then it was nothing more than the very lack of understanding that he said was key!

That's what's worrying about their position, that was mentioned.

It's like me working with alcoholics, and believing that EVERYONE who drinks alcohol has an uncontrollable addiction to it. Which is nonsense. Some have of course, most haven't.

So the drug dealers will either disappear or be the next Scottish & Newcastle or the next british american tobacco? You have a significant number of criminals making serious money, some of it no doubt to fund terrorism. They aren't going to just go away.

What do you mean by drug dealers? The producers? - Well they are awful people cause they have to be, they couldn't be any worse if it was legal.

The street dealers would be out of business, or perhaps go legit? Who knows?

I'm not bothered what happens to them. It is my kids and other people's that I'm worried about. I don't want them taking drugs, but I'm pretty sure they will at least come into contact with people who do.

It might be sensible/genuine and believeable if he/she backed it up (I'll use he), instead of what he said later which contradicted himself when he a). implied and grouped all illegal drugs as the same, and b). when in the same post grouped all drug takers as the same (addicts).

Since he didn't do that, then it was nothing more than the very lack of understanding that he said was key!

That's what's worrying about their position, that was mentioned.

It's like me working with alcoholics, and believing that EVERYONE who drinks alcohol has an uncontrollable addiction to it. Which is nonsense. Some have of course, most haven't.

Yeah, I should have read on before I posted that comment. Although, I do agree that more education is required, rather than just telling kids that drugs are bad, end of.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 23:49 ----------

What do you mean by drug dealers? The producers? - Well they are awful people cause they have to be, they couldn't be any worse if it was legal.

The street dealers would be out of business, or perhaps go legit? Who knows?

I'm not bothered what happens to them. It is my kids and other people's that I'm worried about. I don't want them taking drugs, but I'm pretty sure they will at least come into contact with people who do.

It's inevitable. Drugs are, and always have been, popular with younger people.

If they're going to experiment, it would be better to know they are being as safe as possible.

Yeah, I should have read on before I posted that comment. Although, I do agree that more education is required, rather than just telling kids that drugs are bad, end of.

If they're going to experiment, it would be better to know they are being as safe as possible.

Bold (though I would be more specific with term 'drugs') and second part, yes I agree.

We agree on little. But I agree with you on this.

I am not one of the bury your head in the sand/hang em and flog em brigade.

whos 'us' ?

Druggys,users,smack heads?

You don't speak for those of us who chose not to use them either, but happen to be intelligent enough to understand the point the OP made.

---------- Post added 06-01-2015 at 07:27 ----------

Why the hell would you put non prescribed drugs in your body in order to alter your state of mind?

Ask the millions of people that have a beer in the evening... :huh:

---------- Post added 06-01-2015 at 07:30 ----------

Why not just go straight to finding the better way? Lets have some suggestions.

The better way is to minimise harm in the first place, by regulating, controlling and taxing the supply.

And ultimately adults should be free to take whatever they like. What right does anyone else have to stop them?

---------- Post added 06-01-2015 at 07:31 ----------

Maybe you should pop down to one of my outpatient days, and see just how well drugs affect recreational users. When you have the parents of a 19yr old sobbing in your office whilst their post graduate son is grabbing his mother by the throat.

Education and a widespread witch-hunt of the dealers, support for families and the addicted relatives. And criminalization of those who promote it as "recreational"

Nobody has any idea of what these dealers and part time club captains are pushing, and its always someones elses problem to clear up the mess. If I can break the habit of just one person, it makes my job worthwhile but for every one addict that is cleaned, there are another ten being promoted into the mix by the scandalous notion that drugs are "Recreational"

If you work with people who are affected by drugs then how can you possibly not want to minimise harm by regulating the industry instead of criminalising it?

---------- Post added 06-01-2015 at 07:32 ----------

Do we think that if drugs are legalised (which I've real problem with as such) that the violent drug organisations will become all nice and put fair trade sugar to pad out their wares or will they stick with rat poison and use violence when necessary?

They will very rapidly go out of business. Simply because the customers they have will disappear and instead 'shop' at the local pharmacy.

Illegal drugs. Drugs generally aren't a big problem (with the obvious exceptions of alcohol and tobacco) if they're legal and available in regulated form.

Illegal drugs however, are a big problem as they are cut with toxins, of unregulated strength (hence the overdose issue) and require mixing with criminals to obtain.

Even with a genuinely very harmful drug like alcohol, note how since it's regulated, it's considerably less harmfull than it was when it was illegal during 'prohibition' when, in addition to the unavoidable harmful effects, users also frequently died due to the toxins contained in moonshine. At least when it's legal, it's possible to use the stuff responsibly.

Nobody has any idea of what these dealers and part time club captains are pushing,

Exactly. Whereas when it's legal and regulated, buyers will know exactly what they're buying.

When heroin users overdose, it's not cos they've chosen to die, it's cos they never know the strength of the batch they're taking- if it was legal and regulated, there would be very few heroin overdoses.