In-Out vote: Has anyone changed their mind since the campaign started?

EU. In or Out?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. EU. In or Out?

• In
    • Out

I haven't read it anywhere else....I should have known someone else would have thought of it as well as me.. :)
BBC are having a stab at it here and here.

Could MPs block an EU exit if Britain votes for it?

Michael, from East Sussex asks an intriguing question - could the necessary legislation pass the Commons if all SNP and Lib Dems, nearly all Labour and many Conservative MPs were in favour of staying?

The answer is that technically MPs could block an EU exit - but it would be seen as political suicide to go against the will of the people as expressed in a referendum. The referendum result is not legally binding - Parliament still has to pass the laws that will get Britain out of the 28 nation bloc, starting with the repeal of the 1972 European Communities Act.

The withdrawal agreement would also have to be ratified by Parliament - the House of Lords and/or the Commons could vote against ratification, according to a House of Commons library report.

It adds: "If the Commons resolves against ratification, the treaty can still be ratified if the Government lays a statement explaining why the treaty should nonetheless be ratified and the House of Commons does not resolve against ratification a second time within 21 days (this process can be repeated ad infinitum)."

In practice, Conservative MPs who voted to remain in the EU would be whipped to vote with the government. Any who defied the whip would have to face the wrath of voters at the next general election.

One scenario that could see the referendum result overturned, is if MPs forced a general election and a party campaigned on a promise to keep Britain in the EU, got elected and then claimed that the election mandate topped the referendum one. Two thirds of MPs would have to vote for a general election to be held before the next scheduled one in 2020.

Oh I do understand. I understand thatyou come across as a pompous oaf trying to talk down to folk. I'm not saying you are a pompous oaf. You just come across as one.

Perhaps you shouldn't try so hard to put yourself forward as the "brain of Britain" and "the only one who understands" and maybe you would get more of a listening. By the way I'm voting out. Good riddance to the lot of them.

Like I said. But you clearly didn't understand (for which I appologise) every compliance hurdle that prevents the UK trading with Europe will become a compliance hurdle for EU companies wanting to trade here. Good innit?

I have already posted my out vote. As you say, good riddance.

Interesting forecast from Jim Mellon, one of the wealthiest economists in Britain:

He firmly believes Italy & France will go bust and take us with them.

If Italy and France go bust, they'll take us with them whether or not we're in the EU.

How come? We don't have to be involved in bail outs outside the EU.

Whether we're in or out a large economy like France going bust will create trade ripples all over the world..do you reckon we'd be insulated against that?

Whether we're in or out a large economy like France going bust will create trade ripples all over the world..do you reckon we'd be insulated against that?

Not completely.

Are you suggesting that we'd be hit equally hard if we were not in a political union with France at the time?

I don't know, have you got a crystal ball?. It's a huge bailout.

---------- Post added 09-06-2016 at 12:37 ----------

The EU also passed an act where it can request any amount from the UK.

Essentially it's an open cheque book.

I don't know, have you got a crystal ball?. It's a huge bailout.

---------- Post added 09-06-2016 at 12:37 ----------

The EU also passed an act where it can request any amount from the UK.

Essentially it's an open cheque book.

Do you reckon France going under would have no effect on us if we're not in the EU.. 2nd point..Interesting...can you provide a link for this "act"?