The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

The leak to the FAZ was clearly designed to undermine May. It was unhelpful to say the least to do this in the middle of a domestic election.

As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

It was the Former Home Secretary's choice to hold the election at this time, it was her choice to hold the dinner at that time, and it was her choice to bring along her flange of performing baboons.

One might almost suspect it was engineered in order to give her something to complain about. :roll:

Confirmation Bias

From what I gather it's seeking information that supports a belief a person already has. In fact some will go out of their way to seek only that which backs up their theory or point of view (a good deal of this thread?).

I posed a scenario many moons ago that involved remainers to search for information to support Leave, this of course would work both ways. It isn't likely at all to alter a point of view but it would maybe help understand why people elected to vote how they did and dilute some of the bad feeling.

A side note: My Latin is developing courtesy of H Loon :D

As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

It was the Former Home Secretary's choice to hold the election at this time, it was her choice to hold the dinner at that time, and it was her choice to bring along her flange of performing baboons.

One might almost suspect it was engineered in order to give her something to complain about. :roll:

It was the choice of Juncker's hatchet man to leak the story to the FAZ, for reasons best known to himself. Up to this point May had been very diplomatic and restrained in her comments about the course of the negotiations.

Confirmation Bias

From what I gather it's seeking information that supports a belief a person already has. In fact some will go out of their way to seek only that which backs up their theory or point of view (a good deal of this thread?).

I posed a scenario many moons ago that involved remainers to search for information to support Leave, this of course would work both ways. It isn't likely at all to alter a point of view but it would maybe help understand why people elected to vote how they did and dilute some of the bad feeling.

I think that's a very good idea for all opinions. Being able to see things from a different perspective is hugely important. For Brexit, I do see the potential benefits for us going solo, I do see that the EU is a mess right now and seems to have little incentive for wholesale reform, I just never felt that the risk and reward stacked up in favour of leaving. The risk was too high and the reward too low. So I'm a remainer not because I *love* the EU, but simply because the alternative just didn't seem any better so why change?

---------- Post added 09-05-2017 at 11:37 ----------

It was the choice of Juncker's hatchet man to leak the story to the FAZ, for reasons best known to himself. Up to this point May had been very diplomatic and restrained in her comments about the course of the negotiations.

Perhaps she's hoping that if she says nothing the press won't get wind of how badly they are going for her?

I admire your passion but you are in denial.

Brexit is happening, nothing is going to change that.

I know Brexit is happening. My point is more around avoiding a ruinous hard Brexit.

The point of your post was the claim that the article was 'factual', whereas it is no such thing. It is full of bluster, but is devoid of facts.
Wrong.

The point of my post was to invite/entice reader(s) to differentiate facts from opinion in that article (and any other, anywhere else), ultimately for forming their own opinion (agreeing or dissenting with that article) rather than succumbing to confirmation bias.

I listed the (few) main facts in that article and readily acknowledged that it was an opinion piece, likewise I1L2T3's comment in his post which had linked it.

It is the author of the article who claims that the UK still wants to be part of the single European market, whereas may could not have been clearer that she does not;
That is indeed opinion by the author, and is the reason why I did not include in my earlier list of facts.

It looks like you have trouble understanding the difference between fact and opinion. Or that you are incapable of objectivity. Which is it?

Up to this point May had been very diplomatic and restrained in her comments about the course of the negotiations.

Balderdash. She has been a shrieking harpy about it all ever since she lost her job as Home Secretary.

That said, I think harpies generally have a better vocabulary: they are related to parrots after all.

---------- Post added 09-05-2017 at 11:50 ----------

Dammit, that means I'm going to have to start trying to get it right, not just bluffing with made up pig-latin. :blush:

Macron was only just elected two days, and British papers are getting full of Le Touquet agreement articles.

Can France scrap the treaty?

Yes. The last article of the treaty grants the two signatory powers the option of unilaterally abrogating it “at any time”, simply by informing the other party in writing, via diplomatic channels. There would however be a two year delay before the change came into effect.

<...>

But Xavier Bertrand, head of the Hauts-de-France region encompassing Calais, last year told the Telegraph that "politically" Brexit rendered it untenable.

"The days when the French handled the whole burden and the British signed a cheque are over. To date, the means they have put into it have been largely cosmetic, that has to stop," he said.

"The British people have chosen to take back their freedom, they must take back their borders."

Love that last line :D

Lest we forget (08 Feb 2016), re-linked now for future reference.

Topically, whatever happens in that regard, would be a direct consequence of Brexit.

I know Brexit is happening. My point is more around avoiding a ruinous hard Brexit.

Hard Brexit = Brexit;

Soft Brexit = Not Brexit;

Reversing Brexit = stopping democracy;

Xenophobe = Anyone who disagrees with me;

Racist = anyone who really disagrees with me;

Fighting Fascism = Tweeting abuse at people who favour Brexit;

Restoring sanity = Restoring the old establishment;

Listen to the experts = Don't listen to the people;

Liberal Democrat = illiberal anti-democratic.

Courtesy of Brendan O'Neill.

Edited by NigelFargate