The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

The HRT was in force before 2014 (in fact even before 2006), but modified extensively in late 2013 to 'catch' more EEA nationals.

Not really worth talking about before that time.

The HRT is not about 'claiming benefits'. Its about validating them or denying them based on qualifying (-or not) residential status.

Next, the UK has always had that right to refuse entry in respect of non-EU nationals, and still does. On whatever policies it chooses (subject however to ECHR minimas, which aren't EU-related at all). The UK has continuously exercised those rights, hundreds of thousands of times a year. Saying that the UK hasn't, then or now, would be a barefaced lie.

The UK has also always had the right to refuse entry into the UK to any EU national on legitimate grounds (public health, public security, public policy). The UK has exercised those rights, hundreds of times a year if not more. So saying that the UK hasn't, then or now, would be a barefaced lie.

So that leaves you with the 'good guy' EU economic migrants. Doctors, nurses, engineers, scientists, fruit pickers, <etc.>.

Now, obviously, it's them you have problem with?

I don't have a problem with anyone.

I understand everything you have said. What you conveniently left out of your post is that the UK does not have the right to decide all of the people who are allowed to enter and reside in the U.K.

That's simply all I said I wanted. This doesn't mean I have a problem with any particular group or type of person. I want the UK to have that right because I believe in national self-determism.

You seem to have some sort of problem in seizing on anyone who disagrees with you and trying to mercilessley grind them into the ground. You must be a hoot at a party!

---------- Post added 11-07-2017 at 21:37 ----------

The HRT is about claiming benefits? Is this some kind of joke?

You understand it protects your rights don't you?

In the context of this discussion it's about which immigrants can claim certain types of benefits yes. What don't you understand?

Gideon Rachman is the Chief Foreign Affairs correspondent for the Financial Times.

He has had an interesting article printed in the Irish Times, which doesn't exactly make encouraging reading for the Brexiteers but I'm sure they'll counter it with reasoned logical argument.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjNlejyhoLVAhXjD8AKHe8KB2QQFggyMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Feconomy%2Fbrexit-cake-is-now-more-humble-pie-for-britain-1.3150708&usg=AFQjCNEqJ4w5KMYwcIfTynEN1S-hebBCZw

I'm sure the Irish will have to pay a quite bit more for their share of the EU cake, wonder if they'll stomach it.

You seem to have some sort of problem in seizing on anyone who disagrees with you and trying to mercilessley grind them into the ground. You must be a hoot at a party!

Dont worry, you will get used to it.

Here are some of my favourite Remainers put-downs that you may also come across.

Rabid Racists

Stupid

Xenophobic

Crazy old duffer

Xenophobic jingoistic myth believers

I don't think we really need further evidence of your idiocy, it is already overwhelming.

The leave vote for many was down to ignorance, fear and stupidity.

Can you distinguish between primary and secondary sources? Because that is what higher education gets you

More bovine excrement

Delusional

Fwightened little runaway

One of the stupidest posts in the whole discussion

And thats just in Brexit pt 4..:hihi:

I'm sure the Irish will have to pay a quite bit more for their share of the EU cake, wonder if they'll stomach it.

I'm sure the taxes from all the financial services business moving from London to Dublin will soften the blow.

After looking at that I'm beginning to come around to the idea that some kind of basic test is needed before allowing people to vote...

It is a fine idea, but with just one or two tiny flaws.

Personally I have come to the inescapable conclusion that democracy is simply a bad idea, and presently I favour a geniocratic system, though not on the same model as the originator of the term.

Dont worry, you will get used to it.

Here are some of my favourite Remainers put-downs that you may also come across.

Rabid Racists

Stupid

Xenophobic

Crazy old duffer

Xenophobic jingoistic myth believers

I don't think we really need further evidence of your idiocy, it is already overwhelming.

The leave vote for many was down to ignorance, fear and stupidity.

Can you distinguish between primary and secondary sources? Because that is what higher education gets you

More bovine excrement

Delusional

Fwightened little runaway

One of the stupidest posts in the whole discussion

And thats just in Brexit pt 4..:hihi:

Yes, they all seem very angry about the whole thing.

---------- Post added 11-07-2017 at 22:01 ----------

Gideon Rachman is the Chief Foreign Affairs correspondent for the Financial Times.

He has had an interesting article printed in the Irish Times, which doesn't exactly make encouraging reading for the Brexiteers but I'm sure they'll counter it with reasoned logical argument.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjNlejyhoLVAhXjD8AKHe8KB2QQFggyMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Feconomy%2Fbrexit-cake-is-now-more-humble-pie-for-britain-1.3150708&usg=AFQjCNEqJ4w5KMYwcIfTynEN1S-hebBCZw

It's an opinion piece, not actual journalism. It sets out some possible outcomes, not all of them. There's no arguing with the fact that they are some possible outcomes, so what?

You seem to have some sort of problem in seizing on anyone who disagrees with you and trying to mercilessley grind them into the ground.

"Mercilessly grind"? You mean argue with.

Granted, I can see that it might grind you down when you have no valid counter arguments, but such is the nature of fair debate.

"Mercilessly grind"? You mean argue with.

Granted, I can see that it might grind you down when you have no valid counter arguments, but such is the nature of fair debate.

Argue is a good word. Unfortunately he seems to create his own view of someone's thinking and then seek to destroy it, without that person stating that claim or motive. It's odd to watch really. It's not really debate though.