The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

The government have also defeated Labour amendments to the brexit bill that would have protected employment rights. It's a hard Tory brexit that Car Boot is supporting.

Proof that the Tories want to use Brexit to erode workers' rights. I was and am a lukewarm remainer, my main motivation for voting remain was to preserve workers' rights and protections. I posted about that on this Forum and the usual people, Unbeliever, the_bloke and others kept telling me I was overreacting, that Tories had no interest in eroding workers' rights. Obviously these were laughable statements in my view, I know to never ever trust a Tory, but it seems there were plenty of gullible people who believed Tories and Ukippers who told them it was in their interest to vote for Brexit. Stop listening to rich people if you are working class! They have diametrically opposed interests to you.

There are 112,000 more employees from EU member states in the UK now than there were a year ago.

2.38 million people from the EU are estimated to be working here, a record number.

Since we voted for Brexit the UK has attracted more EU nationals to come here for employment than at any time in the last twenty years.

Are all of these 112,000 doctors, nurses, scientists, techies...?

Way to miss the point, as usual.

2.38m EU workers? and yet, quasi-full employment. Worth a mention for balance, I thought.

When might we see others 'bailing' from the UK, do you think?
'Others' started bailing on 24 June 2016 and have done so uninterruptedly since. I hear the NHS and tech start-ups have certainly been a tad inconvenienced for a while now. But perhaps you don't catch news or click links.

Basically, the UK is swapping a few (for now) departing EU skilled workers for incoming EU casual labourers (that 112k is mostly Bulgarians & Romanians, I read somewhere (reputable, not red top)), so losing income tax, hollowing out skillbases and increasing its working tax credits burden (if the casual labourers stay long term) all at once. Result!

If things don't progress (and by the look of Davis' "performance" in Germany today, they ain't anytime soon), March 2018 for the mass EU brain drain to start (self-motivated or relocating employer-sponsored), then October 2018 for the more general resident EU population.

Edited by L00b

There was a democratic decision to leave (based on half truths,lies and rabble rousing ) but this doesn’t mean that us pro Europeans have to shut up and bear silly tags such as ”remoaners”

I'm very much a pro-European too.

But I'm Anti-EU.

True. Wasn't it Ireland that has twice had to repeat its Referendums as the first of each produced the 'wrong' result?

Not much democracy there.

Trust a Ukipper to misrepresent facts to fit their populist argument. Quite shamelessly so, for someone who should have no real difficulty understanding the Irish legislative process and constitutional requirements. Edited by L00b

Proof that the Tories want to use Brexit to erode workers' rights.

Not really proof, all it means is that the EU laws would be enshrined into UK laws and that it can then be possible to "chip away" at rights. Just because this may be possible it does not follow that it will be the case.

Proof that the Tories want to use Brexit to erode workers' rights. I was and am a lukewarm remainer, my main motivation for voting remain was to preserve workers' rights and protections. I posted about that on this Forum and the usual people, Unbeliever, the_bloke and others kept telling me I was overreacting, that Tories had no interest in eroding workers' rights. Obviously these were laughable statements in my view, I know to never ever trust a Tory, but it seems there were plenty of gullible people who believed Tories and Ukippers who told them it was in their interest to vote for Brexit. Stop listening to rich people if you are working class! They have diametrically opposed interests to you.

You still sound like you are over reacting. Labour's proposal was that all EU laws regarding workers rights, health and safety, consumer protection, equalities etc would need to be subject to the process of primary legislation unless debated and changed as part of the EU withdrawal bill.

From the footnotes of NC58:

This new clause would ensure that after exit day, EU derived employment rights, environmental protection, standards of equalities, health and safety standards and consumer standards can only be amended by primary legislation or subordinate legislation made under this Act.

It allows the government to make tweaks and changes to all those things that we derive from the EU - that are not already part of UK Acts of Parliament - under secondary legislation. If an EU law is already part of an Act of Parliament, then that Act still exists after we leave and would need to be changed in the future in the same way all Acts are, some of which can already be changed using secondary legislation.

Acts that differ in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to the rest of the UK are considered to be created and modified under secondary legislation rather than primary.

Labour was basically proposing that all the myriad of EU laws that the UK hasn't cared enough about to be in existing Acts but will be scooped up into UK law post Brexit would need a level of Parliamentary scrutiny to modify that is beyond the current level for those things and is a waste of time including them in the full parliamentary process.

What EU law that isn't covered already by an act of parliament are you worried about the government changing exactly?

Note that the minimum wage, right for child care and flexible working, contracts of employment, redundancy, rights of dismissal and equality in the workplace are all covered by Acts of Parliament.

Edited by the_bloke

We are now one of the worst performing economies in the G7. On the eve of the referendum we were the best performing economy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-latest-news-uk-economy-g7-bottom-mark-carney-bank-of-england-a8058036.html

It is only going to get worse. The situation cannot concievably improve for years given the level of business uncertainty, unless a soft Brexit and lengthy transitional period is locked in now. That is what my company’s clients want, and some of them want A50 to be withdrawn.

We are now one of the worst performing economies in the G7. On the eve of the referendum we were the best performing economy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-latest-news-uk-economy-g7-bottom-mark-carney-bank-of-england-a8058036.html

It is only going to get worse. The situation cannot concievably improve for years given the level of business uncertainty, unless a soft Brexit and lengthy transitional period is locked in now. That is what my company’s clients want, and some of them want A50 to be withdrawn.

Thought you'd have been too busy packing to worry about the UK.

Thought you'd have been too busy packing to worry about the UK.

The whole point all along is that I’ve been worried about the UK. I’ll be fine but a lot of people who didn’t understand what they were voting for won’t be.

Fundamentally I don’t want Tory and UKIP right wing nut jobs to destroy our country. Nothing wrong with that

The whole point all along is that I’ve been worried about the UK. I’ll be fine but a lot of people who didn’t understand what they were voting for won’t be.

Fundamentally I don’t want Tory and UKIP right wing nut jobs to destroy our country. Nothing wrong with that

I'm sure the remoaners will be okay once they get over the shock of what they did.:hihi: