Pitsmoor in the 60s

Can anybody recall playing football on the Burngreave Danville mount in the late 50s, early 60s.Even when I was about 10 , my brothers, Gordon Walt Willis used to carry the goal post from The Guards Rest on Sorby St.Different pubs would play each other on sunday mornings. Each game would atract quite a good following untill it was time for the pub to open up. It was actually illegal to play organised football on sunday mornings. This was probably the fore runner of Sunday football as we have now

Can anybody recall playing football on the Burngreave Danville mount in the late 50s, early 60s.Even when I was about 10 , my brothers, Gordon Walt Willis used to carry the goal post from The Guards Rest on Sorby St.Different pubs would play each other on sunday mornings. Each game would atract quite a good following untill it was time for the pub to open up. It was actually illegal to play organised football on sunday mornings. This was probably the fore runner of Sunday football as we have now

I have vivid memories of playing football on the Danville Rec back in the late1940s, and we used to watch The Star (the pub on D St, not the paper) football team play on that rather rough surface (tough on ther knees!) on Sunday mornings. Chester Lowe's dad was a rather portly outside-left, as I recall! (Some memories of football on D Street rec are mentioned in Derek Dooley's autobiography and in the book A Sheffield Boy, which has just been re-issued in paperback).

my husband Dave Pilkington (brothers Michael and Harold) remembers playing football with bob south with Dave Wall, John Bray and John Onions. Went to Ellesmere school and then on to Burngreave.

we met some people February this year in malta and can't remember his name but know he was a cousin of may Somerset, get in touch!

• 2 months later...

Hello Maryloo, nice to make your acqatance.I remember David very well as well as Mick and Harold. We used to have an odd pint or two in the Buckingham Arms. Pitsmoor was a fantastic place to grow up in ,in days gone by.I can remember playing football on the Danville mount wreck as a young lad of ten yrs old in 1951 up to a young man in my late20,s. All the names you have mentioned are correct plus Ron Metcalfe, Alan Marshall, Terry Simpson and many more. Needless to say, many a good footballer played on the wreck.I am 7o years old now and not in good health,but Iwill try and keep posting. Give my regards to David and god bless you both.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Siren.

I am 62 years old now so going back a long time. Helen terrace i know well. I was in the Boys brigade after the life boys.

The Captain then was John Cheetham also the other oficers were

John Watkins and Les Wright. Did you go to the youth club because thats where i met my wife Vicki. You must know the shop on Rock st called Cairios (excuse the spelling) the coblers called Bartroms.and i think the greengrosers were Feezis. I used to live on Montfort Rd coming from Rock st go past Fitzalan st and i was in one of those houses on the left with cellers on street level. This was opposite where Verdon st forked off. Remember Blackshaws drapers..Let me Know your age then i might Know if i Know you

Hi Siren I have just joined this Fourum. I lived on Fitzalan St.and I knew Helen Terr.I was also in The boys brigade and remember the names you have put down, Cairios I also remember he sold the first 1d Ice lolly I had,I also took papers for Cutts paper shop on the corner of Marcus St and Rock St.