10 things the bible says you can't do that you do anyway.

'Thou shalt not start yet another thread about religion when there be a hundred others on the go already: for, t'were another subject, thou should bring about the wrath of the Moderators, and be strongly advised to use the 'search' option before starting another thread. Amen.'

I could probably explain a lot of those, but it would get into a lot of religious arguments which we have enough of on here, so I won't bother.

I think a lot of it would have had some element of sensible rationale in the particular time and place, for reasons we wouldn't be able to guess randomly (though some of the food rules would have obviously derived from safety issues and taboos about things that ate corpses). It's like superstitions that originated in some practical sense but got dislodged from their root and ended up done for their own sake. Or Old Wives Tales that turn out to have a grain of truth in them. Or those archaic laws that turn out to still be on the statute books. It's very interesting in its own way, though I wonder if they would have thought it strange if people were to still 'religiously' stick to the Biblical rules long after any practical sense became obsolete?

Archived