Help DVLA trouble

About 6 months ago, I passed my old car on to my daughter. I filled in the log book and sent it off to the DVLA. Because I wasn't near a PO I foolishly didn't use recorded delivery. As far as I was aware that was the end of my interest in the vehicle

About two months ago I was issued with a fixed penalty For the vehicle not being insured. I took a Photostat of my daughters insurance cert and posted it back to the DVLA.

I have just received a letter from them, confirming that I am being fined for not ensuring that the car was insured.

At no time as the car not covered, including Car tax , MOT and insurance.

How can this fine stand?

Help me please

The DVLA are notorious for losing V5s. You need to contact them about the missing transfer of registered keeper and appeal the fine. Does your daughter still have the the new keeper supplement part of the V5 you gave to her? I take she never received a new log book through the post?

Also, nip over to pepipoo for detailed advice.

jb

You should have had a letter from the DVLA saying you were no longer the keeper of the vehicle...your daughter should have received a V5 naming her as the keeper..did either of these two documents arrive.....? Have you checked on askmid to see what that says about the car?

If you have proof of continuity of insurance I wouldn't be too bothered.

I would personally be ignoring them as well, knowing that dvla have a huge admin black hole in swansea.

But if it bothers you. I would write them a letter asking them to explain in precise detail exactly; what,where and when they think a problem occured. It's up to them to prove their allegation not for you to prove your innocent.

I would personally be ignoring them as well, knowing that dvla have a huge admin black hole in swansea.

But if it bothers you. I would write them a letter asking them to explain in precise detail exactly; what,where and when they think a problem occured. It's up to them to prove their allegation not for you to prove your innocent.

It's easy..they'll just say the change of ownership part of the V5 wasn't received...if you've not received a new V5 6 months after getting the car then alarm bells should be ringing..( they'd be doing that for me if I'd got nothing from them after a couple of weeks to be honest)

It's quite simple. The registered keeper has to have insurance on the vehicle. As they haven't updated their records it appears to them that the registered keeper hasn't changed and the vehicle is thus uninsured. The daughter having insurance on the vehicle is irrelevant until such time it can be demonstrated that she was the registered keeper (having insurance on the vehicle MAY be enough to convince them). It will be up to the OP to demonstrate that the keeper changed.

jb

You should have had a letter from the DVLA saying you were no longer the keeper of the vehicle...your daughter should have received a V5 naming her as the keeper..did either of these two documents arrive.....? Have you checked on askmid to see what that says about the car?

It makes no difference if a accknowledgement letter was recieved or not.

Your requirement by law stops at posting the v5 back not chasing it up to see if it arrived although DVLA think different.

No need to send recorded or even first class so long as it was posted that is your obligation forfilled by LAW.

---------- Post added 03-12-2013 at 18:49 ----------

Like Truman says, for four months you heard nothing from the DVLA. You would have got a letter saying you're not the keeper, she would have got a log book.

You should have raised the matter with the DVLA after six weeks.[/QUOTE]

no they shouldnt.There is no law says you have to wipe their arses.V5 posted is enough.

Although the new keeper should after a reasonable time enquire why they havnt recieved the v5 but the 2 are not linked just because in this case they know each other.

the seller absolved themselfs of responibility when they posted the v5.If the DVLA lost it,thats their look out and thats what they need telling.

---------- Post added 03-12-2013 at 18:51 ----------

you would be very foolish to ignore it and its even more foolish to give out stupid advice.

It makes no difference if a accknowledgement letter was recieved or not.

Your requirement by law stops at posting the v5 back not chasing it up to see if it arrived although DVLA think different.

No need to send recorded or even first class so long as it was posted that is your obligation forfilled by LAW.

To me the legal rights and wrongs don't come into it...If I haven't recieved things that I know I should get then I enquire and raise it as a possible problem.. no matter where the fault lies it can save a lot of hassle as this thread proves..

I feel for you fella. I'm having issues of my own with the DVLA. I sent my licence in to have the photo changed as scheduled by DVLA. After 3 weeks I rang them, gave them my driver number and asked where my licence was. They claimed it had been sent out. I asked them to confirm the address, which they did and they've sent it to an address I haven't lived at for SIX YEARS.

Now I have to jump through hoops to get them to re-issue with my correct address and sign a declaration that I don't live at the address they sent it too. Worse still if I want the licence retrieving from the old address I have to call the old bill and have them deal with it. So someone has enough details about me to clone my ID and the DVLA, who made the mistake want to absolve themselves of any wrong-doing.

Archived