33 month sentence for piracy.

Man jailed for 33 months over illegal copies of Fast and Furious 6

Philip Danks used a camcorder to record the film on its release day and then uploaded it to Facebook.

A 25-year-old man has been jailed after filming Fast and Furious 6 in a cinema and selling copies of the movie on Facebook.

Wolverhampton crown court heard that in May last year, Philip Danks used a camcorder to record the film on its release day, before uploading it the following day. The UK release date was also the first time the film was released anywhere in the world, and it was downloaded more than 700,000 times from Danks's Facebook page.

Additionally, Danks offered copies of the film for sale on Facebook for £1.50, "alongside other well-known films such as Iron Man 3", according to the Federation Against Copyright Theft (Fact).

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/aug/22/man-jailed-illegal-copies-fast-and-furious

Bit harsh IMO. :huh:

Bit harsh IMO. :huh:

I thought the same when I saw it in the news; the act of what he did was ordinary, but the losses to the film company was great. Or were those just losses if his act of uploading to the internet succeded?

As his defence stated, there's no way those 700'000 people would have actually paid the full price to watch it in a cinema. I bet he appeals the sentence and wins a reduction.

I hope not .It just encourages others to do it,hope it's increased to 4yrs.:)

It's theft. Theft of intellectual property/copyright is just as unacceptable as theft of tangible property. Doesn't seem harsh to me.

No it isn't theft. It is copyright infringement, they are different. Please consult Google before contradicting me.

I hope not .It just encourages others to do it,hope it's increased to 4yrs.:)

Really? Do you really think it is for the good of society that this man is imprisoned?

As his defence stated, there's no way those 700'000 people would have actually paid the full price to watch it in a cinema. I bet he appeals the sentence and wins a reduction.

That is pure speculation and impossible to prove. It is surely irrelevant anyway.

Archived