Sheffield's cream and blue buses

I remember when I first started working as a bus driver in the 70s, the Sheffield Corporation buses were painted a very smart blue and cream livery, with the Sheffield coat of arms prominent in the middle, since privatisation, the colour schemes seem to have gone from bad to worse, either very dowdy, or just very gharish, or am I just being nostalgic?

I agree Malc ..last time I visited Sheffield I was Horrified when i saw those big grey trams..did a salesman find half a million gallons of battleship grey paint and flog to the Transport dept...and whats all that sructure down by Queens road area with traffic lights hanging from it and cables and steelwork and such it looks awfull.

Originally posted by Timbuck

I agree Malc ..last time I visited Sheffield I was Horrified when i saw those big grey trams..did a salesman find half a million gallons of battleship grey paint and flog to the Transport dept...and whats all that sructure down by Queens road area with traffic lights hanging from it and cables and steelwork and such it looks awfull.

The trams are no longercoloured that "invisible-in-fog grey".

They were repainted a few years ago, when stagecoach took them over.

They are now in white livery with the blue, orange, and red, striped bottom panel. (there's a couple that have been jazzed up in funky pink and cyan colours to advertise meadow hell)

The structures on queens road are called a tidal flow system; they alter the road priorities so that there are more lanes of traffic going into the city at morning peak hours, and then in the evening, the flow is reversed , so that there are more lanes being fed out-of-town at the evening peak.

The idea is that it makes the traffic run more eficiently...

hth

PT

Originally posted by Plain Talker

The trams are no longercoloured that "invisible-in-fog grey".

They were repainted a few years ago, when stagecoach took them over.

They are now in white livery with the blue, orange, and red, striped bottom panel. (there's a couple that have been jazzed up in funky pink and cyan colours to advertise meadow hell)

The structures on queens road are called a tidal flow system; they alter the road priorities so that there are more lanes of traffic going into the city at morning peak hours, and then in the evening, the flow is reversed , so that there are more lanes being fed out-of-town at the evening peak.

The idea is that it makes the traffic run more eficiently...

hth

PT

For nostalgia freaks (myself included) some of the old 60s & 70s Sheffield buses in their original livery are preserved at a bus museum. I'll stand corrected on the exact location, but I seem to remember it was around the bottom of Prince Of Wales Road. It never seemed to be open last time I was in Sheffield, so it may have moved/closed since then. Can any of the locals fill in the gaps?

I believe that the sheffield bus museum is based at the old tinsley tram sheds, near the carbrook hall pub.

(that is, it's on the meadow hall/ attercliffe side, not the actual tinsley side)

From sheffield, Just follow attercliffe common, out past the arena and carbrook, and it's on the left hand side, on the continuation of attercliffe common, (Sheffield road), there's an old pub just beside it, and a tile place nearby.

(NOTE! if you get to the tinsley viaduct, you have gone too far!!!)

I understand that they hold open days, quite regularly.

PT

Plain Talker - you know just a little too much about busses for my liking. Stop it, you're frightening me :) I think that you're the person who used to pinch busses from bus stops to joyride who was in my year at school!

no, Tony,

I have a poppa and four uncles who were bus drivers, (as well as steam and train enthusiasts) so, I was brought up being dragged (not 100% unwillingly :D) around steam/vintage/ train rallies, from being a small girl.

In fact me and the four-years-old-tomorrow granddaughter went to the national railway museum at York a couple of weeks ago, and she enjoyed it as much as I did!!!! she loved seeing the Duchess of Hamilton, and the Mallard! and as for the train trip, on "yer actual" Thomas the Tank Engine!! Well! sheer magic for her!

And no, I have never "nicked " a bus, ever. (chuckle)

PT

In fact me and the four-years-old-tomorrow granddaughter went to the national railway museum at York a couple of weeks ago, and she enjoyed it as much as I did!!!! she loved seeing the Duchess of Hamilton, and the Mallard! and as for the train trip, on "yer actual" Thomas the Tank Engine!! Well! sheer magic for her!

PT

I took my teenage son to York a while back and he was less than enthusiastic when I suggested we visit the NRM.

However, when he saw Mallard for the first time he changed his tune completely.

Why? A painting of Mallard is featured on the cover of "Modern Life Is Rubbish" an album by his favourite band Blur, so he was thrilled to actually see her in the metal.

There must be a lesson there somewhere for teachers

Originally posted by mojoworking

In fact, me and the four-years-old-tomorrow granddaughter went to the national railway museum at York a couple of weeks ago, and she enjoyed it as much as I did!!!! she loved seeing the Duchess of Hamilton, and the Mallard! and as for the train trip, on "yer actual" Thomas the Tank Engine!! Well! sheer magic for her!

PT

ok my teenage son to York a while back and he was less than enthusiastic when I suggested we visit the NRM.

However, when he saw Mallard for the first time he changed his tune completely.

Why? A painting of Mallard is featured on the cover of "Modern Life Is Rubbish" an album by his favourite band Blur, so he was thrilled to actually see her in the metal.

There must be a lesson there somewhere for teachers

the granddaughter, (with nannan's help, naturally) phoned her grandad from the NRM, and she told him "I saw the Mallard, the fastest steam train ever!"

Bless!

PT

Archived