Are you prepared for an "emergency"?

Seeing the number of people caught out in the RBS / Natwest issue, and the countless threads in the Tech section when people have a laptop die or stolen and don't have a backup, its led me to wonder if we are becoming a nation of helpless individuals who run around like headless chickens when a minor emergency hits us.

With this in mind, I've pulled a few common questions or scenarios that everyone should be prepared for:

Do you have a working torch and know where it is?

Do you know where your fusebox / stopcock is?

Do you have an emergency supply of cash (even just £20) in the house?

Is all your money tied up in one bank?

Do you have a spare house and car key?

And more importantly is it with someone you can trust and has the means to bring it to you?

When did you last back up your important files and photos? Is it off-site?

There's an inch of snow on the ground. Sheffield panics and buys all the bread and milk in the district. Do you have some powdered milk and a loaf mix in the cupboard?

its led me to wonder if we are becoming a nation of helpless individuals who run around like headless chickens when a minor emergency hits us.
'becoming'?

Have you been living under a rock all that time, alch? ;):D

Do you have a working torch and know where it is?

Excellent advice, Mr Alch.

Helpful tip to my fellow Sheffielders:

If the answer to the above question is "Yes, downstairs in the cellar" then that's no good either.

You really need to have a torch handy, ideally in a location where there is no risk of you falling down the stairs and seriously injuring yourself in case the electricity suddenly goes off.

You should buy more than one torch and keep one on every floor.

Any more tips, anyone?

Do you have a working torch and know where it is? - Yes, 3 wind up rechargeables plus a wind up rechargeable lantern

Do you know where your fusebox / stopcock is? - Yes

Do you have an emergency supply of cash (even just £20) in the house? - yes

Is all your money tied up in one bank? - No

Do you have a spare house and car key? - Yes

And more importantly is it with someone you can trust and has the means to bring it to you? - Yes

When did you last back up your important files and photos? Is it off-site? - Once per month plus the backup drive is duplicated, not off site but easy enough to get at on the way out anything that will cut me off from one of them will cut me off from an exit too

There's an inch of snow on the ground. Sheffield panics and buys all the bread and milk in the district. Do you have some powdered milk and a loaf mix in the cupboard? - Yes but I'd rather do without personally

Archived