Libellous taxi leaflet?

Anyone else had a strange leaflet through the door today?

I won't name the firms it mentions, but the text goes something like this:

ATTENTION!

TO ALL TAXI USERS

Please don't be fooled by ILLEGAL taxi companies like (taxi firm name) who are based in Rotherham.

These companies from out of the Sheffield area are NOT LICENSED by Sheffield City Council!

To make sure you get in the right taxi, please make check the vehicle is licensed by Sheffield City Council.

DON'T put you or your family in DANGER!

Support your LOCAL taxi companies approved by Sheffield City Council.

(The leaflet then lists four Sheffield taxi firms, giving details of their tarrifs)

All cars and drivers licensed by Sheffield City Council are FULLY INSURED and CRB checked.

Thank you.

As far as I can tell, this leaflet is not an official Sheffield City Council leaflet. In fact, there are no clues on the thing about the identity of its producers.

I'm pretty sure it's libellous (which is why I haven't included any names).

Anyone else had a strange leaflet through the door today?

I won't name the firms it mentions, but the text goes something like this:

ATTENTION!

TO ALL TAXI USERS

Please don't be fooled by ILLEGAL taxi companies like (taxi firm name) who are based in Rotherham.

These companies from out of the Sheffield area are NOT LICENSED by Sheffield City Council!

To make sure you get in the right taxi, please make check the vehicle is licensed by Sheffield City Council.

DON'T put you or your family in DANGER!

Support your LOCAL taxi companies approved by Sheffield City Council.

(The leaflet then lists four Sheffield taxi firms, giving details of their tarrifs)

All cars and drivers licensed by Sheffield City Council are FULLY INSURED and CRB checked.

Thank you.

As far as I can tell, this leaflet is not an official Sheffield City Council leaflet. In fact, there are no clues on the thing about the identity of its producers.

I'm pretty sure it's libellous (which is why I haven't included any names).

Take it to taxi licencing office. See what they have to say about it.

In my view if they'd not mentioned a firm's name then it'd be ok.

---------- Post added 05-12-2012 at 22:52 ----------

if this taxi company is operating in an unlawful manner then it isn't libellous.

if you are worried then drop the leaflet into the council taxi department and let them investigate other than that make sure that you only use properly licensed taxis

TBH I think I could guess which Sheffield based company sent this out. They'll be annoyed because taxi firms in neighbouring towns are a little cheaper so people are shopping round and using a taxi firm licenced by another council.

Not only is the leaflet libellous, it's factually incorrect. The other firm is licenced, just not via Sheffield City Council.

Assuming the company mentioned is legally run of course.

Take it to taxi licencing office. See what they have to say about it.

In my view if they'd not mentioned a firm's name then it'd be ok.

---------- Post added 05-12-2012 at 22:52 ----------

TBH I think I could guess which Sheffield based company sent this out. They'll be annoyed because taxi firms in neighbouring towns are a little cheaper so people are shopping round and using a taxi firm licenced by another council.

Not only is the leaflet libellous, it's factually incorrect. The other firm is licenced, just not via Sheffield City Council.

Assuming the company mentioned is legally run of course.

Me too. ......

unless i've misread the op, then they only mention that this firm is not registered in sheffield, they make no mention as to whether or not it is licensed by another council.

i was under the impression, perhaps mistakenly, that taxis couldn't operate outside the council area they are registered in.

as long as the firm isn't registered in sheffield and they can't operate in sheffield then where is the libel?

Archived