Been paying for house insurance for a house I have not lived in for 8

As title, unbelievably until this weekend It hadn’t dawned on me that a certain direct debit was ‘unusual’ I had previously assumed it to be something to do with life insurance but on further investigation it wasn’t.

Now please spare me any smart comments, all I want to know is where do I stand with getting my money back from the company. They stated I need proof of when I moved out. Which hopefully the letting agent will be able to provide. So in theory should be ok.

Main reason for the post is to see is anyone else has been in this situation before and did you successfully without hassle get your money back?

'Lived in' is irrelevant. Have you been the owner all along? If not, how long ago did ownership cease?

The Op clearly refers to proof of "when I moved out ...and a letting agent".

It's reasonable for anyone reading the thread to come to the conclusion that he never owned the property. :huh:

I guess so Strix.

I'm also confused as to why on moving house anyone would not just transfer the insurance to the new property.

Surely, if arranging insurance at the new place...it follows to cancel the other (or transfer it).

But to answer the question.....I guess if proof is available the insurance company would refund....hopefully.

If he has moved out to purchase, his insurance may be tangled with a mortgage rather transferring the old insurance. I can see how it was overlooked

What I can't see is how it was renewed without permission - unless it's on a 'do nothing in response to this letter' basis. If he gets nowhere with an insurance refund, maybe the landlord should be liable for not returning or forwarding mail

If he has moved out to purchase, his insurance may be tangled with a mortgage rather transferring the old insurance. I can see how it was overlooked

What I can't see is how it was renewed without permission - unless it's on a 'do nothing in response to this letter' basis. If he gets nowhere with an insurance refund, maybe the landlord should be liable for not returning or forwarding mail

It will be on automatic renewal.

It's plausible the tenants over the years, just haven't returned the mail. The landlord will probably never even have known there was letters addressed to the original tenant.

I'd have assumed the customer would not be reimbursed the full amount, but it looks (given on info provided in the op) like he will when proof is obtained.

As for tangling his insurance with his mortgage, that would be their choice, I'm not aware of any lenders who require you to have contents insurance with them as part of their lending criteria.

Yes it was a rented property and just for contents insurance. My ex continued to live there for a further 4 years after we split up. There was no agreement between us that I would continue to pay the insurance and it was clear that she would be responsible for the bills etc.

I am hopeful the letting agent will be able to locate the original tenancy agreement which will show both our names and the subsequent one signed by just my ex. If my calculations are correct I will have been paying it for at least 8 years after I left the property.

If I'm honest, I completely forgot about the insurance when I left, there were far more important concerns at the time. I spoke to my ex yesterday and she says that letters were delivered to the property but she didn't pass them on to me :mad: Typical of her really!

I don't think a landlord is ever responsible for the mail that an ex tenant leaves directed to an address, it's not his problem and he may well not have any forwarding details.

If I'm honest, I completely forgot about the insurance when I left, there were far more important concerns at the time.
Not wanting to sound deliberately harsh but...why should the insurance reimburse you, when you never informed it (by letter or cancelling the contract/DD) that you had vacated the premises?

Contractually they've done their bit, covered the contents of the address whilever the DD was paid by the subscriber, until the subscriber tells them not to renew/to resiliate the contract.

I wouldn't have thought you'd be entitled to any refund whatsoever.

That said,

I spoke to my ex yesterday and she says that letters were delivered to the property but she didn't pass them on to me :mad: Typical of her really!
now this sounds like you may obtain redress from your ex, as she agreed that she would responsible for the bills (including contents insurance, presumably)

There was no agreement between us that I would continue to pay the insurance and it was clear that she would be responsible for the bills etc.
but did not assume responsibility for the insurance.

So, in equity, she should be the one reimbursing you (she benefitted from the continued policy), not the insurance.

If she does not, you might have a shot in the small claims court (depending how much 8 years' worth of DD amounts to in total).

Archived