Are discussions on Sheffield Forum too simplistic?

Are arguments on the forum too binary?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Are arguments on the forum too binary?

• Yes
    • No

We see it all the time. People taking entrenched positions when arguing on the forum.

Parking, Cycling, Thatcher, Immigrants. It seems that everybody is on one side or the other.

There is no middle ground.

So, members of the forum. Are we too binary in our arguments?

I've added a little poll to find out more.

We see it all the time. People taking entrenched positionswhen arguing on the forum. Parking, Cycling, Thatcher, Immigrants. It seems that everybody is on one side or the other.

Sadly we are (and that's "we" the country) and will forever be so.

We see it all the time. People taking entrenched positions when arguing on the forum.

Parking, Cycling, Thatcher, Immigrants. It seems that everybody is on one side or the other.

Is that a pen? :huh::huh:

Perhaps, but then again - according to one poster on this forum - "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything." :hihi:

---------- Post added 09-04-2013 at 22:30 ----------

Is that a pen? :huh::huh:

No. Don't be silly. It's a vacuum cleaner.

Perhaps, but then again - according to one poster on this forum - "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything." :hihi:

---------- Post added 09-04-2013 at 22:30 ----------

No. Don't be silly. It's a vacuum cleaner.

My henry hover got nicked by some muslims on the dole.

And a wise old soul he is !

You can still stand for something and try and find a middle ground though, on most subjects anyway. That was my one hope when we ended up with a coalition, everyone trying to work for the greater good. Nope, you got Tories being Tories, libdems rolling over, and little ed just banging on about how rubbish the Tories without offering anything in alternatives, apart from, hileriously guaranteeing a job for everyone under 25.

Seems a bit of a waste.

We might have entrenched views, but that is not to say that we might learn some new 'facts'.

I know it was said in jest, but sometimes its true. I have to say I've learnt alot on here and had my opinion swayed on a few subjects. Sadly though too often it's the posters from the further fringes of both political sides who make the most noise, listen the least.

Overall I don't think the views are narrow minded or simplistic, although there are occasions where the exception only strengthened the case for having the (ignore the ignorant) rule ..

Sometimes maybe those views are repetitive and poorly expressed. I don't mind links that express the posters position if the poster feels he or she is struggling with expression..on the contrary I doff my hat. In my opinion the middle ground tend to express themselves more eloquently and provide links that educate and develop alternative views. Those who argue that links are for the lazy who don't have a mind of their own and insist on their own life experiences as the Holy Grail, I usually find dull, pig ignorant and in a worse case scenario down right dangerous.

Rather than simplistic as the OP suggests, I would say repetitive more so.

Archived