Bessemar/Fountain/Pig and Whistle pub, Leopold street

vikki

• 4 years later...

Can anyone tell me what this underground bar is used as now? The doorway is still there to the left of BESSEMAR bar, and the stairs downwards are still there I imagine. It was a massive city centre bar open in the 80's, and the bit that is BEssemar bar was a COMET retail outlet I think?

Then the Fountain bar opened did this occupy the same space as the former Pig and Whistle downstairs, or did it use the upstairs area as well? I am fascinated to trace the layout, as the stairs in Bessemer bar go down to the lower level and its where the toilets are, but I am wondering if these are in fact the old Pig and Whistle toilet areas and the rest of the lower level former bar is all closed off?

The electrical store was Laskey's. It sold computers and stereos.

Do you remember Wilson Peck on the corner? They sold musical instruments and had a large showroom full of organs (ooh, matron).

I always assumed the downstairs of Bessemer was what was the Pig and Whistle but as I was too young to go to the latter I might be wrong.

Yes many good nights spent in the pig and fountain bar used to get packed and had a dj box with music that was also "piped" to several other bars.

I would imagine with a wide stairway being in the middle and the toilets there is probably not as much room left down there as you might think maybe a couple of store rooms.

Yes many good nights spent in the pig and fountain bar used to get packed and had a dj box with music that was also "piped" to several other bars.

I would imagine with a wide stairway being in the middle and the toilets there is probably not as much room left down there as you might think maybe a couple of store rooms.

Hmm I remember it being MASSIVE downstairs tho...a very long bar and also lots of alcove type areas. I glass collected there for a while in the late 70's. The only way in and out was the narrow stairs coming up on Leopold Street, I don't remember any other stairs in the bar. But certainly the bar area was bigger than Bessemers is now so must have extended under other ground floor buildings in that block too.

Laskeys yes that was it..The staircase in bessemer leading upwards is the same one that was in LasKeys leading up a balcony display area..lots of gleaming reel to reel machines I recall were up there...

Are we talking about the old Buccaneer here?

No I only came to Sheffield in 1975 and that was gone, it was the Pig and Whistle in what was then a fairly new building with Wilson Peck on the left on the corner, and to the right of the Pig it was laskeys hi-fi discount store. Deffo not the Buccaneer which was in a much older building that was demolished before I came to Sheffield, I believe that closed in about 1973 or something like that??