The US military Guide, when attending Britain in WWII

Yeah, really fascinating read. I liked this bit...

''The British Are Tough. Don't be misled by the British tendency to be soft-spoken and polite. If they need to be, they can be plenty tough. The English language didn't spread across the oceans and over the mountains and jungles and swamps of the world because these people were panty-waists.''

---------- Post added 10-10-2013 at 16:31 ----------

...and this one...

British Women at War. A British woman officer or non-commissioned officer can and often does give orders to a man private. The men obey smartly and know it is no shame. For British women have proven themselves in this war. They have stuck to their posts near burning ammunition dumps, delivered messages afoot after their motorcycles have been blasted from under them. They have pulled aviators from burning planes. They have died at the gun posts and as they fell another girl has stepped directly into the position and "carried on." There is not a single record in this war of any British woman in uniformed service quitting her post or failing in her duty under fire.

Now you understand why British soldiers respect the women in uniform. They have won the right to the utmost respect. When you see a girl in khaki or air-force blue with a bit of ribbon on her tunic-remember she didn't get it for knitting more socks than anyone else in Ipswich.''

That's great. I'm going to pass that on to my eldest who has a keen interest in WWII history, thanks. I learned something - I didn't know that some of the parks were used as allotments to grow food.

My favourite bit:

The British don't know how to make a good cup of coffee. You don't know how to make a good cup of tea. It's an even swap.

:hihi:

They used to sell great and accurate copies of the original handbook (actually about A6 size) in Waterstones....brilliant stuff, more respectful of us than Yanks usually admit.

---------- Post added 10-10-2013 at 20:41 ----------

The British don't know how to make a good cup of coffee. You don't know how to make a good cup of tea. It's an even swap.

:hihi:

Except that we had Coffee houses in England, when we were also running America! :hihi: