What defines a terrorist?

i think generally people who see violence which isnt officially sanctioned or classed as warfare as terrorists, thats not always the case

were the french resistance fighters terrorists?

those who went to spain to fight? including plenty of brits

Mandela and the ANC etc were under occupation and subjegated, they FOUGHT for their freedom and their rights, they didnt have the power or the might, but they had a will to win and enough muscle

if say muslims take over the country by force and there was a violent resistance to it would that be terrorism? or resisting occupation? i know some on here would be the first inline to resist

ter·ror·ist (trr-st)

n.

One that engages in acts or an act of terrorism.

adj.

Of or relating to terrorism.

terrorist [ˈtɛrərɪst]

n

(Government, Politics & Diplomacy)

a. a person who employs terror or terrorism, esp as a political weapon

b. (as modifier) terrorist tactics

terroristic adj

An individual who uses violence, terror, and intimidation to achieve a result. See also terrorism

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/terrorist

i dont think any of those definitions define the above

---------- Post added 06-12-2013 at 19:52 ----------

terrorists terrorise, a lot of political violence isnt to terrorise just to get rid of

Terrorist/freedom fighter.

If you're fighting for a just cause you're a freedom fighter. If you're fighting for anything else, you're a terrorist.

Who decides what a just cause is?

I find it hard to believe that many people have ever fought for a cause they do not believe to be just.

Archived