Curious: What's that purple pipe along the central barrier: M1

I've noticed for a while driving South on the M1 towards Sheffield there's about a 4" blue purple (concertina type) pipe seemingly balanced on top of the concrete barriers. It stretches for miles....Some parts of it, are just hanging loose...No wires coming out of it...then it continues with another section of it....I can't figure what it might be for or why it's there.

(Little things in life fascinate me) :)

Edited by PeteMorris
Correction

Ive been told that its something to do with the drainage, around that part of the motorway. Since the central area of the motorway is now concrete and tarmac, the water forms and has nowhere to run, but not really sure how it works , as some of these pipes run up and along the bridges,and onto the banking at the side of the M-way.

Please correct me if this is not the case.

Ive been told that its something to do with the drainage, around that part of the motorway. Since the central area of the motorway is now concrete and tarmac, the water forms and has nowhere to run, but not really sure how it works , as some of these pipes run up and along the bridges,and onto the banking at the side of the M-way.

Please correct me if this is not the case.

Surely that would require it to go across the motorway lane along one of the bridges, and I don't recall seeing any of the pipes doing that...(not that I've noticed anyway).

Surely when they put the concrete barriers there, they would have considered drainage and standing water? There must be some facility for that, other than the blue purple pipe sitting above ground on the top of the barriers?.....

Just my thoughts upon it...........

Edited by PeteMorris

Surely that would require it to go across the motorway lane along one of the bridges, and I don't recall seeing any of the pipes doing that...(not that I've noticed anyway).

Surely when they put the concrete barriers there, they would have considered drainage and standing water? There must be some facility for that, other than the blue pipe sitting above ground on the top of the barriers?.....

Pete, sure it's not a purple one? If so that's the network connectivity cables.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20120810121037/http://www.highways.gov.uk/news/pressrelease.aspx?pressreleaseid=136596

Surely when they put the concrete barriers there, they would have considered drainage and standing water? There must be some facility for that, other than the blue pipe sitting above ground on the top of the barriers?.....

On some sections of motorway where they have recently installed the concrete central barrier, I've noticed a fairly wide gulley at the side of the barrier for draining water away. Even though the gulley has a shallow slope into it, I've thought that if someone is not concentrating and allows a wheel into it, it would tend to drag the car further into the gulley. I presume that they are designed to be too shallow a slope to cause any real problem, but it certainly concentrates the mind when I see one.

hahaha...It could be purple for all I know, I'm colour blind....

That link you gave was in regard to the M62? But I suppose could equally apply to the pipe along the M1.

It just seems (if the link is applicable) to be somewhat 'exposed'...But what do I know?...I can't even identify the colour...:huh:

---------- Post added 19-03-2015 at 12:37 ----------

On some sections of motorway where they have recently installed the concrete central barrier, I've noticed a fairly wide gulley at the side of the barrier for draining water away. Even though the gulley has a shallow slope into it, I've thought that if someone is not concentrating and allows a wheel into it, it would tend to drag the car further into the gulley. I presume that they are designed to be too shallow a slope to cause any real problem, but it certainly concentrates the mind when I see one.

I don't often use the 'fast' lanes....I don't think my car could cope with it :)

hahaha...It could be purple for all I know, I'm colour blind....

That link you gave was in regard to the M62? But I suppose could equally apply to the pipe along the M1.

It just seems (if the link is applicable) to be somewhat 'exposed'...But what do I know?...I can't even identify the colour...:huh:

---------- Post added 19-03-2015 at 12:37 ----------

I don't often use the 'fast' lanes....I don't think my car could cope with it :)

Pete, yeah the link was for the M62 bizarrely, sure I read on the summary it was M1...clearly you are colour blind and I'm dyslexic! I'm pretty sure they are the same thing though. Network/comms cables.

I've noticed for a while driving South on the M1 towards Sheffield there's about a 4" blue (concertina type) pipe seemingly balanced on top of the concrete barriers. It stretches for miles....Some parts of it, are just hanging loose...No wires coming out of it...then it continues with another section of it....I can't figure what it might be for or why it's there.

(Little things in life fascinate me) :)

Read this: http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32675