Independent candidates in May 2016

For the first time in memory there will be Independent candidates standing in Council seats in Sheffield next May. Much of the reason is about local democracy with regard to the tree felling program (I don't want to go over the arguments about this issue!), the Devonshire Green shops, and the imposition of the Sheffield region Mayor. Tied in with these issues is a general dissatisfaction with political parties and the political process. When thousands of tree petition signatures are thrown out by Councillors and over 80,000 votes against a Mayor are overturned by a deal with George Osborne then people are frustrated.

There are some decent Councillors, but votes are whipped through and the views of constituents ignored. I believe there are enough campaigners across the City to stand in selected seats and make an impact next May. I will be standing in Nether Edge and Sharrow and there will be others coming forward in other seats. Independent, campaigning, Councillors would have a strong mandate to put Council process under scrutiny and reflect the strength of feeling on issues from residents.

For the first time in memory there will be Independent candidates standing in Council seats in Sheffield next May. Much of the reason is about local democracy with regard to the tree felling program (I don't want to go over the arguments about this issue!), the Devonshire Green shops, and the imposition of the Sheffield region Mayor. Tied in with these issues is a general dissatisfaction with political parties and the political process. When thousands of tree petition signatures are thrown out by Councillors and over 80,000 votes against a Mayor are overturned by a deal with George Osborne then people are frustrated.

There are some decent Councillors, but votes are whipped through and the views of constituents ignored. I believe there are enough campaigners across the City to stand in selected seats and make an impact next May. I will be standing in Nether Edge and Sharrow and there will be others coming forward in other seats. Independent, campaigning, Councillors would have a strong mandate to put Council process under scrutiny and reflect the strength of feeling on issues from residents.

I am interested Calvin to know why you are standing as an independant regarding the tree issue. I thought the Green Party were very much campaigning on this issue and weren't you a Green Candidate at one point? Whats changed should we no longer trust the Green Party?

A new / renamed ward or are you standing for two?

A new renamed ward, yes.

I don't believe The Green Party are doing all they can to save the trees. I know of one former councillor who did not stand last time as a result of their lack of interest in the matter. Apparently, ironically, they did not want to be seen as a "tree hugging" party.

I'd like to point out that Sheffield has a proud tradition of putting forward Independent candidates. In 2014 there were 5 of which I'm aware but none were elected.

I met one of them last year. He was leafleting as I called on a friend. He looked like a Young Conservative and had zero politics. Independents need some issues to get support from. This lad had nothing.

---------- Post added 05-11-2015 at 17:35 ----------

I'm not sure those issues will get many votes. Maybe the trees in Nether Edge will in small parts of the ward where they're an issue but the Greens will make that an issue in their campaign. On the Devonshire Street shops the council had no legal basis on which to refuse the application. For the mayor, the 2012 referendum was about an elected mayor for Sheffield. This one is for a much bigger constituency with the dangling of £30 million a year, a sum the councils won't want to turn down.