FW Clixby, Painter & Decorator

Does anyone have memories, stories and or pictures concerning my Grandfathers painting and decorating business at 64 Wilkinson Street (off Glossop Road).

My Grandfather, Fred William, died in a work related accident in August 1947. After that the business was under the control of my Uncle John. So the business name changed to JG Clixby.

Many thanks for any contributions.

Richard

Hi Richard - I remember your uncle John well; in the 1970s he had his bank accounts at the branch of the Midland Bank where I worked (now the Banker's Draft pub). He was always very brisk and businesslike and ran the painting & decorating business well. Our manager spoke very highly of him (which meant a lot coming from Old Grumpy). But we dreaded his decorators doing any work at the bank as although the decorating work was first-class they always made such a mess! :P

Edited by hillsbro

My parents both worked for John G .My mother was his secretary for many years until he retired and I often called in to see her at Wilkinson Street when she was at work. Can't think I have any photos taken there but I will have some taken at Baslow HAll where he lived.

Did you ever meet Mrs Clixby, Johns wife, Freda?

She went to live with her son in Australia after John died. Whilst there she had a bad fall and died in 2005.

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 10:28 ----------

Hi Rozweb

It would be great to have any pictures you can send. Did you know that Baslow Hall is now a top restaurant and hotel?

Have a lot of happy memories of time spent at Baslow.

I even learned to drive a car there when I was 12 or 13. Driving round and round the grounds in a little old Austin A35.

Hi R Turner

Yes I did meet your Auntie Freda. My mum and dad used to stay at Baslow Hall when John G and your Auntie were away and they looked after the place. I remember the hens that used to roost in an old car (Bentley) I think. I will try and find some photos

• 2 months later...

Hi Richard,

I've just picked up your enquiry about your uncle, John G Clixby whilst looking at the history of Whiteley Wood Hall, Common Lane, Ecclesall, Sheffield.

John and Freda were great friends of our neighbours, Bryan and Ray Jones, on Marsh House Road, Ecclesall. Bryan Jones' family were Leyland Paint and Varnishing Company. My family often met John and Freda with the Jones. I was a student at the time in the late 1950's and the Clixbys allowed me to earn a bit of pocket money by gardening at their house at Hollow Meadows, Moscar, way up on the moors. They seemed to have a passion for large old (sometimes derelict) halls and had made an offer in October 1957 for Whiteley Wood Hall, which wasn't accepted. They went to live even further out in the wilds at Sugworth Hall, overlooking Strines reservoir. They eventually lived in Baslow Hall, which as you say is now Fischers Baslow Hall House Hotel. I think they inspired the Jones to buy and live in "The Tower" at Hathersage for a short time.

• 1 year later...

Hello Bryan

Thanks for the info you shared about my uncle John and Aunt Freda. Sorry I took this long to get back.

Sugworth Hall, now that is a new bit of info for me. I don't have any recollection of it at all.

Do you remember their children, my cousins? John, Simon and Charlie.

I am still in touch with Simon and Charlie, but John died a few years ago.

Yes my uncle was quite an eccentric in many ways.

Best regards

Richard

Hello again, Richard.

I'm afraid I don't remember your cousins John, Simon and Charles - it's possible that I never met them. I still wonder what became of the Jones boys, Christopher and Mark. I think that Christopher at first went into something to do with canals and Mark went into a wallpaper business with his father after he left Leyland Paints (which was the family business).

Best regards,

Bryan Morgan