Did a forum member save my life?

I apologise in advance for a serious post with a perhaps overdramatic heading but thought it might be worth posting the following.

A few weeks ago I started the following thread;

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=136294

The jist of it was that I'd quit smoking after being a 20 a day smoker for 15 years. I expected that I’d start feeling healthier but bizarrely I began to feel even worse. Not only was I struggling to cycle up hills I’d had no trouble with in the past, I couldn’t walk a few yards without getting out of breath, even on the flat. I also felt tired all the time and kept nodding off without warning.

So I went to see my doctor, she asked a few questions, took a few blood samples and said it was possible I could be anaemic. Later that day I went into work then went out in Sheffield with a couple of friends for a few pints and a meal. Just before going home I switched on my mobile to find several urgent messages from my doctor and family. The blood test showed that not only was I anaemic but my level of red blood cells was about a quarter of what it should be and, if I didn’t go straight to hospital for an emergency transfusion, I would probably collapse.

To cut a long story short, I ended up spending 3 days in hospital, had a blood transfusion of nearly 4 pints and various tubes and cameras inserted in various orifices. I then spent a week at home recovering and went back to work 3 weeks ago. I’m still only about 75% as healthy as I should be but I’m on a course of iron tablets which should get me back to full health in a matter of weeks. I still have further trips to the doctors to look forward to, but the scans haven’t revealed any serious problem. It’s more that likely that my health had been deteriorating for a fair while, but the effects of smoking had masked the symptoms to the extent that I hadn’t noticed.

Without wishing to make an Oscar-acceptance type speech, I owe my recovery to an awful lot of people. Obviously the includes the staff at the Hallamshire, who seemed amazingly professional and helpful in situations most of us would find stressful and at times repulsive.

Perhaps most importantly though I have to thank the stranger(s) who gave the blood which is now swilling around my body. We're all constantly bombarded by charities demanding our time and money, but giving blood is by all accounts one of the easiest and most important things you can do to help other people. All I would say is that if you can give blood, do it.

Right, that's enough of that - I'm off to spoil other people's serious threads with my childish humour.... :hihi:

In the past three weeks or so, I've noticed that I'm out of breath quite often, usually just from walking but sometimes from doing nothing.

Due to injured knees, I gave up running (after a nine mile run to the Ladybower Inn. I realised it was too painful and that I wasn't enjoying it anymore).

I'm seriously wondering about visiting my doctors because at the moment my breathing is getting quite laboured (it is as a type this).

In the past three weeks or so, I've noticed that I'm out of breath quite often, usually just from walking but sometimes from doing nothing.

Due to injured knees, I gave up running (after a nine mile run to the Ladybower Inn. I realised it was too painful and that I wasn't enjoying it anymore).

I'm seriously wondering about visiting my doctors because at the moment my breathing is getting quite laboured (it is as a type this).

I honestly don't want to scare you but please go see your Dr that doesn't sound right at all.

Hi Baz, glad to hear you are on your way to a full recovery. I am a forum user that gives blood so if it's mine youv'e got you are very welcome. It took me ages to pluck up courage to go but now I am so glad that I did. I don't get to give every time as my red blood cells tend to drop but if i remember to take the iron tablets before I go then there is usually no problem. If any other Forum users would like to go but daren't give me a yell and I will hold your hand. Unfortunately there are restrictions for people giving blood so you would need to check it out first. :thumbsup:

I apologise in advance for a serious post with a perhaps overdramatic heading but thought it might be worth posting the following.

A few weeks ago I started the following thread;

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=136294

The jist of it was that I'd quit smoking after being a 20 a day smoker for 15 years. I expected that I’d start feeling healthier but bizarrely I began to feel even worse. Not only was I struggling to cycle up hills I’d had no trouble with in the past, I couldn’t walk a few yards without getting out of breath, even on the flat. I also felt tired all the time and kept nodding off without warning.

So I went to see my doctor, she asked a few questions, took a few blood samples and said it was possible I could be anaemic. Later that day I went into work then went out in Sheffield with a couple of friends for a few pints and a meal. Just before going home I switched on my mobile to find several urgent messages from my doctor and family. The blood test showed that not only was I anaemic but my level of red blood cells was about a quarter of what it should be and, if I didn’t go straight to hospital for an emergency transfusion, I would probably collapse.

To cut a long story short, I ended up spending 3 days in hospital, had a blood transfusion of nearly 4 pints and various tubes and cameras inserted in various orifices. I then spent a week at home recovering and went back to work 3 weeks ago. I’m still only about 75% as healthy as I should be but I’m on a course of iron tablets which should get me back to full health in a matter of weeks. I still have further trips to the doctors to look forward to, but the scans haven’t revealed any serious problem. It’s more that likely that my health had been deteriorating for a fair while, but the effects of smoking had masked the symptoms to the extent that I hadn’t noticed.

Without wishing to make an Oscar-acceptance type speech, I owe my recovery to an awful lot of people. Obviously the includes the staff at the Hallamshire, who seemed amazingly professional and helpful in situations most of us would find stressful and at times repulsive.

Perhaps most importantly though I have to thank the stranger(s) who gave the blood which is now swilling around my body. We're all constantly bombarded by charities demanding our time and money, but giving blood is by all accounts one of the easiest and most important things you can do to help other people. All I would say is that if you can give blood, do it.

Right, that's enough of that - I'm off to spoil other people's serious threads with my childish humour.... :hihi:

Mmm I was thinking of quitting, but I'll think twice now :D

Good to hear you're on the mend :thumbsup:

Glad to hear you're on the mend, i too am a forum user that gives blood and would like to stress to people who dont give for no particular reason how easy it is to do and how worthwhile it is. Everyone expects it to be there for them and their family if its ever needed but not enough people go regularly.

It sounds like it could possibly be a blood pressure problem, Ousetunes.

If I were you, I would get along to the doctor as soon as you can so he can check you out.

StarSparkle

Archived