THE RIDGE, next to Hallam School, Redmires Rd

I am looking for pictures of the Hallam Head area of redmires Road on the way to Lodge Moor, taken pre 1980 if possible. I am especially interested in the road known as THE RIDGE where I used to live, and what was there before it was built in 1975. It was the site of an old mansion built in 1907 I think called THE RIDGE which was partially destroyed by WW2 bombs in 44, but left derelict until I believe the late 60's early 70's? Does anyone who live in that area recall exactly what was there before the new road THE RIDGE was built in 75? ANy pictures of the area, especially the adjojning site of HALLAM SCHOOL which was built in the early 70's, and what was there previously.

There are parts of the original boundary wall of the mansion THE RIDGE parallel to the new road, setting out a substantial area of the original grounds of the old house. I have tried SHEFF archives but no images of this area at all. It was ahouse with extensive cellars now buried under the new houses and road. The original gatepost which was the driveway to the old house is at the top of the new road in some trees on the left. When we were digging the garden over in 76 having just moved in number 8 The Ridge we found a great assortment of former bits of the old cellars all accessible about 4 ft down from the surface.

So anyone know someone who lived around S10 pre 1975 who might remember the layout? The research I did in 1983 while I lived in the new road was pretty thorough, I even found a plan of the original mansion in the archives, but no pictures. There is a substantial history attached to the former mansion and grounds and I am curious to know if the house ruins were still there prior to the new housing built in 75. The builders, Gleesons, have destroyed their records from the period and can not help me.

• 1 year later...

Archived