Easterbrook Allcard Co Ltd

In the photo-nostalgia page of Saturday's Star (21 April) there is a photograph of a party of employees leaving for a London trip.

The caption stated: "The Easter Brooks and Allcard yearly London trip."

My recollection is of the company being called Easterbrook Allcard Co. Ltd.

I can also remember Kemsley Newspapers using the work of sportswriter Basil Easterbrook (football and cricket) for over 30 years from 1950. He died in 1995, aged 75, and although unlikely to be related to the company, the Star ought to be familiar with the name Easterbrook. Perhaps PeterW knew him?

Hi Chairboy, Just seen your post about Easter Brooks and Allcard, I always thought it was East Brook and Allcard who manufactured Taps and Dies and more famously Presto Twist Drills.

I used for a short while went out with Jill Allcard and the familly lived at either 1 or 3 Taptonville Road.

This was in the mid 60's not sure this is is relivent to your post

It was definately EASTERBROOK and ALLCARD before it became PRESTO TOOLS. I worked there in 1960 ish and met my future wife there, they were famous for taps,dyes,drills and shipped them all over the world.

as an aside my first wage there as a progress chaser was £2..1..11d.

Hi Chairboy, Just seen your post about Easter Brooks and Allcard, I always thought it was East Brook and Allcard who manufactured Taps and Dies and more famously Presto Twist Drills.

I used for a short while went out with Jill Allcard and the familly lived at either 1 or 3 Taptonville Road.

This was in the mid 60's not sure this is is relivent to your post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/33/a4222333.shtml

Here is a link which confirms my thoughts. It may be of interest to someone local. I was really commenting on the Star and the fact that you don't have to look far to find a mistake!

I live in the area you mention and remember Mr.Allcard, a smallish man with glasses and moustache?

It was definately EASTERBROOK and ALLCARD before it became PRESTO TOOLS. I worked there in 1960 ish and met my future wife there, they were famous for taps,dyes,drills and shipped them all over the world.

as an aside my first wage there as a progress chaser was £2..1..11d.

Arrodbo, did you see the aforementioned photo on page 27 last Saturday? There is no date given when this trip took place but it looks more 50's to me -all the staff in suits and ties.

Sandie - no probs.

• 1 year later...

There must be lots of people around who worked at Easterbrooks, and who have memories of their time there. Tell us some tales of what it was like working for Bert McGhee and suchlike! How about some memories from the girls who worked in the Inspection Dept?