Who remembers the old Pomona ?

lectrolove

They demolished it for road widening and I'm not convinced it was actually widened. They built the Vauxhall(?) dealership on the site.

The new Pomona is 50 yards higher up Eccy Road . The old one just needed a few bob spending on it: good consevatory which would have looked top notch with decent planting and ditto for that square sheltered courtyard at the back.

thttp://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/hpac.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.id=8823

Originally posted by clogginchris

Definately moved it along the road. I remember the old Pomona well - it was favourite haunt when I was a student living on Ecclesall Road - especailly the conservatory out the back

It was the original pub with a conservatory. All pubs seem to have conservatories these days but that was a REAL one.

Didn't the Stag on Psalter Lane have a conservatory,?

The old Pomona was a very well liked pub, the best thing I can remember was the fact it sold merrydown cider which I just love. Popular with the students though which used to bring some student'bashers to the place and I can recollect two incidents which were very nasty, however this was avery long time ago.

Originally posted by WALLBUILDER

..... I can recollect two incidents which were very nasty, however this was avery long time ago.

If you're talking about the maniac with the knife*......that was the new Pomona.

* those protesting his innocence were an even bigger bunch of nutters than he was.

I'd forgotten about the knife attack one in the new Pomona, the two in the old Pomona led to the fight exploding out of the front door and catching some innocent passersby in the middle and then there was a crowg of troublemakers who came up along Ecclesall road looking for trouble. This was in the days before most pubs had bouncers and I'd been in the Earl Grey but came up later hearing how they'd been going off in two other pubs, luckily they either didn't know about the Porter Cottage or maybe they're all buried underneath the Lescar somewhere.

The Earl Grey..that's a name from the past. I never went in as it was knocked down not long after I started drinking. Eccy Road wasn't very posh then, certainly at the bottom end although I do remember a jewellers shop down there near the Earl Grey.

I looks as if a cycling club ran out of the Pomona in the 1910's and 20's.

It sounds if you could tell a story or two about The Lescar?

• 1 year later...

I use to go in the earl grey every friday lunch time straight from james neil tools as I use to work in the hot salt baths and your lips was that dry with the salt that you needed a few beers to bring the feeling back into them, I use to go in the jolly buffer as well and the wards house just below the buffer, the old pomona I use to go in when I was on nights at neil tools just to have a cold drink which more often than not was always newcastle brown ale straight from the fridge as I worked in the melting shop at neils as well. I have drank in all of the pubs around there and up on cemetrey road and I always went in the lansdown pub every saturday straight after work then do a pub crawl up in to town but always going into the hornblower,beehive,frog & parrott,the hallamshire,the saddle,then onto the le metro then down to the fat cat and then back into town to meet up with some mates and go around to the pubs I had missed from the lunch time. oh I wish I could do it again I was very happy when I was drunk all the time some of my mates werent that happy with me though as they could never keep up with me, by the time they had just took the top off there ale I had supped my pint and was always going for another one. but alas I have had to stop drinking for good otherwise I would have been dead now but I sure do miss going drinking down to the old pubs like the pomona.

Archived