Freezer food safe after powercuts?

is it safe to use the food from the freezer after frequent powercuts?

We've kept it shut during and after the cuts, we've had 4 so far. I understand that if you keep the door shut a freezer should keep the temp for 24hrs.

However I'm concerned that food might have started to defrost.

I've got chronic health problems and am quite fussy about sell by dates etc as food poising made me extremely ill last time I had it.

I've a lot of expensive meat and gluten free meat produce, plus all the usual family food in a large frost free freezer.

thanks

-

If there's any doubt whatsoever, I'd bin it.

I've previously been very ill with food poisoning from just such an event. I won't be risking it at all. I'll be fully defrosting my freezer this weekend (seems like a good opporunity!) as there wasn't much in it anyway.

Blue kat you're right, it does take approx 24 hours as long as the door has been kept shut. If you cuts have been less than that then I would say it's a safe bet, especially if the time you've had power has been at least 3hours in between, giving the freezer chance to maintain. It they have exceeded 24 hours in duration each time then don't risk it.

I was getting a bit worried about our frozen stuff after we had an 18 hour power cut on mon/tue..

We kept the door closed throughout, and to my surprise, everything was still frozen when the power came back on and I checked it.

Even the ice-pops were still solid..

You should be fine if the door has been closed, but if you're in any doubt, bin it..

Ours was off for 30 hours so I have decided to clear our freezer for safety. It was obvious that some of it had started to defrost and refreeze.

With the meat if it has started to defrost you can always cook it and refreeze once cooked. I slice the meat and put it into gravy then freeze it and it is fine.

Archived