School dentist at the top of Prince of Wales road

Does anyone else remember visiting the school dental clinic located in the school at the top of Prince of Wales road? Even after 50 or so years I still have vivid memories of that place. Dentists?? in green wellies with green aprons covered in blood, long stainless steel sinks with kids spitting blood and throwing up, lots of screaming and those awful little metal clamps which forced open your mouth. Ah, the kids today just don't know how good they have it.

Little T

Does anyone else remember visiting the school dental clinic located in the school at the top of Prince of Wales road? Even after 50 or so years I still have vivid memories of that place. Dentists?? in green wellies with green aprons covered in blood, long stainless steel sinks with kids spitting blood and throwing up, lots of screaming and those awful little metal clamps which forced open your mouth. Ah, the kids today just don't know how good they have it.

Little T

i remember it,and the stink of the rubber pilots mask they held on your face to give you the knock out gas...:hihi:

I use to go to a Dr Ditchfield, very handsome man, both brothers were dentists, that must be around 50 years ago, I still have the same two fillings in.

Then I went to a "Butcher" on Burngreave Rd, husband & wife team, I woke up in the middle and ran around the room, they had to get my sister in the other room to hold me down, they pulled some back teeth out when they could have filled them.:mad:

Little T

I remember the school dentist at manor top well, torture like that stays with you. I remember being sick after the gas mask (the rubber ysed to smell horrid) and the nurse punching me in the back and shoving my head in a sink. Later I remember in childbirth being offered gas and air, I screamed "no way" as soon as I saw the mask.

The school was Prince Edwards, the supermarket opposite was, by turns called "Challenge!" , frank dee and Somerfield (the former Manor Cinema)

Ditchfield? wasn't he at Newfield Green? I was under his care as a kid.

Thanks for that PT, I am going back to around 1976/7, and it seems like yesterday now.

Little T

I remember this school dentists, from my memory as a quiet withdrawn child, the nurses were a cruel hard bunch, I used to be terrified, made me nervous of the dentist'sfor a very long time.

Archived