Old Stannington

Sadly Stannington doesn't start anymore.

It has "mingled" to become part of shefield.

As a child I remember stanningtom road suddenly devoid of housing after Roscoe Bank until you reached Stannington.

It in't the same place anymore..the old traditions have long gone. The local Christmas Carol singing in the pubs doesn't happen as before. It was a once a mustn't miss event.

It is no longer a village...........

Sadly Stannington doesn't start anymore.

It has "mingled" to become part of shefield.

As a child I remember stanningtom road suddenly devoid of housing after Roscoe Bank until you reached Stannington.

It in't the same place anymore..the old traditions have long gone. The local Christmas Carol singing in the pubs doesn't happen as before. It was a once a mustn't miss event.

It is no longer a village...........

Hi,

Does anybody remember the Vicar of Stannington in the 1950's and early 60's? He was an extremely colourful character called, I think, Stebbins?

Regards

Hi,

Does anybody remember the Vicar of Stannington in the 1950's and early 60's? He was an extremely colourful character called, I think, Stebbins?

Regards

I've heard many a tale of Stebbins from my fathers recollections of "the good old days".

Stebbins I understand would frequent the local pubs to join in with the tradition of "local tune" carol singing at Christmas.

He would stand (in fathers words) with his arse to the fire so no other bugger could feel it, and conduct the proceedings with the use of the poker.