Crying Boy Painting Curse?

A friend of mine did and it used to scare me to death, they once had a house fire, the painting was one of the few things to remain 100% in tact

Susie

xx

If this is the painting I am thinking of, my grandmother had two - the crying boy and a crying girl. The myth was that if you separated the two pictures, a tragedy would strike (I seem to remember something along the lines of 'your house will burn down' ) :loopy: Scared the life out of me as a child though :)

EDIT - just read your post Susie. Creepy! :o

It was a horrible time, cos of the severity of the fire there was no way my friends family could live there and my friend had to stay with me for a few months, being about 12-13 at the time it was great having my best friend living with us for a while, none of the family wanted to go back to the house and ended up moving in with their aunt, who lived on her own in a 4 bed house which was big enough for everyone, but they left the painting in the remains of the house.

The estate they lived on has now been demolished so who knows whats happened to that painting.

Susie

xx

Originally posted by JoeP

Actually,

If that's the painting I think you're talking about there's an interesting account here of how one of our top newspapers (ahem...!!) 'The Sun' actually propagated and perpetuated teh myth.

http://www.shartwell.freeserve.co.uk/humor-site/mythellany.html

Joe

Interesting reading Joe! Thanks for that link... my nan was a great one for scaring us with various creepy stories :)

As the Sun story was circulated in '85, that can't be it's origin, as I heard the story when I lived in Liverpool, and I left in '82.

I think I heard it in the late '70s. My Great Aunty had the pair above the fire in the living room. I was too young to remember/understand the tale, but they had been taken down for decorating and I remember her and my gran having a chin wag about whether this had anything to do with a string of bad luck recently (I think a nasty fall was involved, but not sure).

Archived