The Italian Place, London Road

Sazz1006

I've just been in the new Italian restaurant/coffee place on London Road (think it used to be Viva Latino??). It was great, modern decor and surroundings and the girls running it were really friendly and attentive.

I had a pecorino cheese and parma ham panini and a coffee which came to a fiver. They seem to have two menus - a daytime and an evening one.

I know there are loads of places to eat on that stretch of London Road but I sometimes feel a bit awkward going to eat on my own. I would definitely go back there!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Went on 8th January for my partners birthday. Looked quite smart and the waitresses were very friendly. Ordered pizza for me and my partner ordered seafood pancake that looked lovely but was cold inside whilst the pizza was very salty. The pancake came back after being re-heated for ten mins but looked like seafood soup. After attempts to eat it with a fork she gave up and we left very disappointed. The waitress said they would not charge for the pancake and did offer coffees but the evening was already spoiled. A big shame and the only time I have ever had cause to complain in a restaurant. Lets hope it was a one off.

We went on Saturday night - didn't book, and it was busy so we were lucky to get a table. However, found the experience very disappointing.

The tables were far too close together, and mine had a wobble! I know this might sound stupid but it is one of the most annoying things in a restaurant!

The staters - we ordered bruschetta to share and mushrooms in a creamy/brandy sauce. The bruschetta was very poor with colourless, tasteless tomatoes. The mushrooms were delicious and that was the best part of the meal.

The main courses - 2 x vegetarian pancacke (cold, uncooked veg, nice sauce which didn;t make up for the rest of it) 1 x seafood risotto (not risotto, mushy rice) and spag bol (the best of the three). The mixed salad also had the most anaemic tomatoes ever seen. One of the most obvious things in Italian food is decent tomatoes, surely.

I hope this place gets the food on track soon, because the staff are LOVELY.

I don't think that's enough though, the food has to be up to scratch and I just don't think this was. I wish them luck.

Archived