Am I alone in not liking jazz?

Tony

Jazz  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Jazz

• Nice
    • Cast it into the flaming pit of eternal torture

Those who know me understand that I have a near pathological hatred of jazz.

We won't go near bars or restaurants that have it on and if four middle aged blokes start playing different tunes simultaneously while other middle aged men tap their toes and nod their heads... well we have to leave quickly

Am I alone?

We won't go near bars or restaurants that have it on and if four middle aged blokes start playing different tunes simultaneously time while other middle aged men tap their toes and nod their heads... well we have to leave quickly

Am I alone?

Apparently, The Walnut Club are doing a jazz night - NICE. Sounds just up your street Tony

We won't go near bars or restaurants that have it on and if four middle aged blokes start playing different tunes simultaneously while other middle aged men tap their toes and nod their heads... well we have to leave quickly

Am I alone?

I'm trying not to get on my high horse here. Jazz certainly sounds like a mess to the untrained ear, but then most jazz is not supposed to be "easy listening". Bare in mind most jazz is improvised, so the enjoyment of the music is more on the part of the experimentation, the journey away from the tonic, rather than melodic "hooks" and catchy harmonies that resolve digestibly.

Jazz is a huge genre, and it was the pop music of most of the early-mid 20thC, but this type of jazz was very digestible and tended to follow a formulaic pop convention.

The jazz you're most likely talking about is Free Jazz, which is not as immediately signified to the casual listener as the more MOR jazz would be.

I love jazz as much as I love extreme metal. It's just a form of communication at the end of the day, and you shouldn't try to make it something it's not.

i dont like jazz- what IS it? where is the pattern? where is the tune? its just a mess! my boyfriend has suddenly discovered a great liking for it. which is why its good we've just moved to a bigger house and can sit in seperate rooms!

You're attempting to listen to it in the same context as you would pop music, so no wonder it sounds like a mess. Again, I assume you're talking about free jazz rather than the more MOR stuff.

There IS melody and pattern in there if you listen... you just have to feel what the musician is trying to communicate. Don't expect a nice James Blunt-esque hook that has been rehashed for decades by pop songwriters.

You're attempting to listen to it in the same context as you would pop music, so no wonder it sounds like a mess. Again, I assume you're talking about free jazz rather than the more MOR stuff.

There IS melody and pattern in there if you listen... you just have to feel what the musician is trying to communicate. Don't expect a nice James Blunt-esque hook that has been rehashed for decades by pop songwriters.

i dont really know a lot about it to be honest, what ive heard i am not that keen on. please dont mistake me for a james blunt fan though!

i dont really know a lot about it to be honest, what ive heard i am not that keen on. please dont mistake me for a james blunt fan though!

Sorry, the James Blunt thing wasn't specifically aimed at you!

Like I said, jazz is a huge genre. Don't you like that mellow piano music you often hear in restaurants and hotel lobbies? That's jazz, just more easy listening and pre-composed.

I'm trying not to get on my high horse here. Jazz certainly sounds like a mess to the untrained ear, but then most jazz is not supposed to be "easy listening". Bare in mind most jazz is improvised, so the enjoyment of the music is more on the part of the experimentation, the journey away from the tonic, rather than melodic "hooks" and catchy harmonies that resolve digestibly.

Jazz is a huge genre, and it was the pop music of most of the early-mid 20thC, but this type of jazz was very digestible and tended to follow a formulaic pop convention.

The jazz you're most likely talking about is Free Jazz, which is not as immediately signified to the casual listener as the more MOR jazz would be.

I love jazz as much as I love extreme metal. It's just a form of communication at the end of the day, and you shouldn't try to make it something it's not.

Great post!

Much in the same way as liking death/black metal. It's not "nice" to listen to, but that's the beauty of it. You don't watch a horror film for the pleasant atmosphere of it, you watch it to test your willpower and guts. Whilst I may not like a lot of the free form jazz, I can see why people do as it is just a form of expression.

The nearest I get to it is The Mahavishnu Orchestra. They play quite a mix of rock/jazz/free form/fusion styles. Plus, John McLaughlin is from Yorkshire, so it's all good.

At the end of it all, not everybody likes what everybody else likes. I wouldn't worry.

Sorry, the James Blunt thing wasn't specifically aimed at you!

Like I said, jazz is a huge genre. Don't you like that mellow piano music you often hear in restaurants and hotel lobbies? That's jazz, just more easy listening and pre-composed.

i dont know, guess i just lump it all in together, i'll have a proper listen next time!

Archived