Moving to Sheffield from Australia

Hi all!

My family is moving to Sheffield soon from Australia. We have two daughters who will need to be in years 5 and 7 at school. I've been reading threads about getting places in schools (especially entry into high school) and am pretty worried about what lies ahead. Our oldest child is going to miss year 6 completely because of the month in which her birthdate falls. Eeeeeekk!

Everyone keeps mentioning home schooling - I am a teacher so I suppose we could go down that route, but there goes my plan of working.

We need to pick a good area where we can rent a flat, be within reasonable commuting time to Sheffield Uni and have access to two decent schools. Now that's not too much to ask is it?

It seems that children coming in part way through the term from overseas don't get any sort of consideration in the placement process so I suppose we had better be careful about where we choose to live.

All suggestions are welcome.

Deb

Hello! Your gonna love Sheffield, don't worry, most people do.

As for housing the best two secondary schools are Silverdale and High Storrs which are pretty close to each other and produce simular grades. Other good secondary schools would be King Edwards & King Ecgburts, and try and steer clear of Newfield or Abbeydale grange.

If your renting, Crookes is a good area to look at, although Crookes is a very "studenty" part of Sheffield.

Not sure what advice to give you really, just looking forward to see you!

I would say steer clear of crooks it is very studenty. I suppose if you want good access to the uni and schools the area of ecclesall would be a good option. It`s not very studenty at all and there are some good schools there.

I would agree with Ecclesall or Nether Edge but they all have quite a lot of student housing. My daughter goes to High Storrs and is getting a very good education there.

Although you may still find a problem getting your children in even if you move to the area if there are no places available.

Primary schools in those areas are good as well Greystones, Hunters Bar., Ecclesall.

Have you been in touch with Sheffield Education Department to see which schools have places available that maybe a start.

I would say steer clear of crooks it is very studenty. I suppose if you want good access to the uni and schools the area of ecclesall would be a good option. It`s not very studenty at all and there are some good schools there.

not so now as they are moving out.

Crookes is a great place.When we get the Crookes Forum up and running it will be even better.

Hi, I moved to England from Botswana when I was nearly sixteen (i'm 28 now), so I missed a year of school. Wouldn't worry about it if I were you, managed to finish school and get degree so i'm sure your kids will be fine.

Hope Sheffield turns out good for you and your kids.

I moved to Sheffield from Oz quite a few years ago and love it (well--OK, sometimes it would be good to have a bit of tropical Queensland back again!). It's difficult to know what to advise, as we don't know all your circumstances, but I would suggest the best policy is to rent somewhere initially (as you say) until you get to know the city better, so as to decide where you want to stay. Crookes, as some have suggested, is a good area, though it's a bit far from there to get your children into High Storrs or Silverdale, though not so far from King Edwards.

Be warned, Sheffield is very hilly so you have to get used to a lot of climbing!

It would be nice if you got in touch once you have moved here, I'd find it a pleasure to meet some more Aussies!

Hi all!

My family is moving to Sheffield soon from Australia. We have two daughters who will need to be in years 5 and 7 at school. I've been reading threads about getting places in schools (especially entry into high school) and am pretty worried about what lies ahead. Our oldest child is going to miss year 6 completely because of the month in which her birthdate falls. Eeeeeekk!

Everyone keeps mentioning home schooling - I am a teacher so I suppose we could go down that route, but there goes my plan of working.

We need to pick a good area where we can rent a flat, be within reasonable commuting time to Sheffield Uni and have access to two decent schools. Now that's not too much to ask is it?

It seems that children coming in part way through the term from overseas don't get any sort of consideration in the placement process so I suppose we had better be careful about where we choose to live.

All suggestions are welcome.

Deb

You must be off your rockers!!!!

Archived