Went to The Ivory. Oh dear!!

Cuey

Well my other half has been before and said it was great. Its has some good reviews so we went on Friday. What a complete Shambles.

The menu is small but looks good. A smaller menu usually means its cook fresh so i have no problem with that. The table was booked for 8:30 and when we ordered and didn't have starters the waitress said they would be a little longer because they have to be cooked fresh. No problem i'm happy to wait for good food. My wife went for the Seabass with calamari but asked that it didn't have baby octopus on it. Again the waitress said no problem alot of people ask that.

At 10:00 PM we still hadn't got food. I asked where it was and the waitress said sorry, giggled and went to check. The seabass had a baby octupuss staring up from it. After it was removed it was clear that the Seabass had been held on the hotplate for too long (i trained as a chef so whilst i'm no Gordon Ramsey i'm not ignorant).

I complaint to the giggling waitress and she got the manger. He said he wouldn't charge for the main courses (which we didn't eat).

I put £10 for the one glass of wine and bread that we'd had. When we left he had the nerve to chace us out the door and say you had drinks. Yes thats why i left money for them.

I think the problem was that they also had a table of 13 that they simply couldn't cope with.

I had high hopes but alas it seems to be a restaurant who needs a better team of waiting staff and a clear policy on wether it can cope if they have big groups.

We eat out regularly and so do our friends so this is a real disappointment. Oh well i'm sure some of the new restaurants in Sheffield will be able to plug the gap.

I used to like going in there for a quiet drink, I liked the place. But the last couple of times I've been they've had the music cranked up loud like every other bar in town. I must be getting old, but I take my money elsewhere now.

It used to be a nice place to go for a drink but that changed quite some time ago. Although, I've to tell that after last weekend I enjoy going out in Sheffield even more. Friends of mine talked me into going out in Cambridge because it would be so nice. Yeah, right! I didn't like it at all. Seeing my friends was nice though but I just couldn't stand the places. Since that weekend I will definitely appreciate going out in Sheffield even more. :thumbsup:

seems a shame. Good location, a good reputation(until recently) and it seems busy.

I wonder if its been badly run or if its just not getting numbers through the door to fund a city centre location.

I wonder what it will be next. Clearly if its going bust another wine bar isn't the best idea.

I booked a table there for Mr Chopsie's birthday last year, after seeing some really good reviews and recommendations for the place. I did it via their website, and got an e-mail back confirming the booking (from an actual person, not just an automated response - at least I presume so as they spelt my name wrong!)

When we got there, there was a sign outside saying 'closed for private function' - it looked like an engagement party. We went in anyway, and after suggesting we must have got the dates mixed up, if indeed, we had actually booked at all, the guy behind the bar told us that they 'don't really do food anymore' but he could try and find us a table anyway. We didn't really fancy either a) eating somewhere that 'didn't really do food' or b) was full of lots of loud people who all knew each other and a noisy DJ, so we politely declined. Will never, ever go back to this place!

I'm impressed you were waiting for food at 10pm Cuey, we went there at 9pm and were turned away because they'd just closed the kitchen. What a joke! Would some people who know he restaurant business and aren't in it just to make a quick buck please come to Sheffield...it needs you!

Archived