Marc Miranda Kitchen Band gig review

thea22

I saw a new Sheffeild band the other night and found a review of the gig here it is:

The Marc Miranda Kitchen: The Boardwalk. 5th March 2009

Sometimes, bands creep up from behind when you least expect them. Such was the case at the Boardwalk in Sheffield last Thursday night. I was there with the band that I manage, The Sex Patels.

The Patels were great actually, more than that, that they were brilliant. But then again, so was the whole evening. This was because of the support band, ‘The Marc Miranda’s Kitchen Band’ did indeed creep up on me from behind.....

Support bands always get a rough deal, they

are seen as filler, a little diversion. Sometimes this is justified because

they are poor, as slick as lumpy porridge. They get the worst of the PA and occasionally polite applause.....

Marc and his Kitchen cohorts seized their opportunity to the full. The Boardwalk is a fine venue, the staff look after everyone. Very rare and very encouraging.....

The song writing here is very strong,great melodies, whimsical lyrics. I was reminded of Prefab Sprout and Roddy Frame just enough. But Marc has his own style, his own patter. They covered a Bruce Springsteen song. I won’t tell you what it is, but it had shivers running down my back.....Catch them when you can. You just don’t see bands like this every day. I hope they have the legs to go forward further.....

.. ......

Ralph Dartford ....

http://www.ralphdartfordassociates.com

The song writing here is very strong,great melodies, whimsical lyrics. I was reminded of Prefab Sprout and Roddy Frame just enough. But Marc has his own style, his own patter. They covered a Bruce Springsteen song. I won’t tell you what it is, but it had shivers running down my back.....Catch them when you can. You just don’t see bands like this every day. I hope they have the legs to

I wholeheartedly agree with you thea22. Yog Sothoth and I were treated to a much deserved and rare night out at The Earl of Arundel the other night by my best mate, and the Marc Miranda Kitchen band were incredible. The four of them work really well together, the songwriting was very strong, there was a lot of passion, and as you say the Springsteen cover was amazing. I also loved the keyboards, and as for the singer, she's got one of the most lovely singing voices I've ever heard and incredible stage presence. I do feel a little qualified to comment as I used to write for the music press (Melody Maker, i-D) when I lived in London in the 80s and I was also R. Frame's first serious gf. He wrote his two biggest hits (Oblivious and Walk out to Winter) about our relationship after we split up (not very flattering if you listen to the lyrics!)

The Marc Miranda Kitchen Band do definitely have a Postcard Records feel which is amazing considering that they probably haven't ever listened to Josef K or early Orange Juice!

I think if they wanted to, this four piece could go a long, long way, they've got everything going for them. Really talented, fabulous.

Yeah they were a champion band. Like you say, some echoes of the Postcard bands there (Marc's voice was very like Roddy Frame's in places, which is no bad thing). I agree with the Prefab Sprout comparison too.

Their own songs were very good, and they covered one of my favourite Smiths songs, in a nod to Clayhill and Gavin Clark perhaps, as they performed a version of the song in Shane Meadows 'This is England'.

Incidentally, The White Rose did an interview with Gavin Clark which can be found on her blog at http://judecalverttoulmin.blogspot.com/2007/05/gavin-clark-singer-songwriter-guitarist.html

There's also an account of her meeting him at a gig he did with UNKLE in Manchester a couple of years ago here http://judecalverttoulmin.blogspot.com/2008/02/unkle-war-stories-tour-plus-war-crimes.html

Anyway, enough digression. Go see Marc Miranda Kitchen Band. They pop. (You wouldn't say 'They ROCK!' - they're far too wistful and gentle for that)

Their own songs were very good, and they covered one of my favourite Smiths songs, in a nod to Clayhill and Gavin Clark perhaps, as they performed a version of the song in Shane Meadows 'This is England'.

I think this particular Smiths song, also one of my favourites, is particularly difficult to pull off as a cover and the Marc Miranda Kitchen Band did it, a very brave move. I've played it and sung it myself (at home I hasten to add, not gigging!) and I made it sound risible. Good job no-one was listening except my cats, who all ran out of the cat flap. Very hard to do well, you can't fake the emotion in that song, (just like you can't fake a cover of, say, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues) - that's one of the reasons it's such a brilliant song.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived