RAIN MAN starring Neil Morrissey & Oliver Chris, 7-12 Sept

Lyceum

RAIN MAN

Monday 7 – Saturday 12 September 2009

Lyceum Theatre, Sheffield

Neil Morrissey (Men Behaving Badly, Waterloo Road), Oliver Chris (Green Wing, The Office) and Charles Lawson (Coronation Street's ‘Jim McDonald’) star in this touching, funny and heartwarming play, adapted for the stage from the Oscar-winning movie.

Rain Man wowed audiences in the West End last year when it received its UK stage premiere and it now tours for the first time.

Charlie Babbitt assumed he’d be rich when his father died – but that was before he found out about Raymond – the older brother he never knew he had. When Charlie kidnaps Raymond from the institution where he has spent most of his adult life, an incredible journey begins which takes them across America.

Join Charlie and Raymond on a rollercoaster road to the bright lights of Las Vegas through a string of life-changing experiences, at the end of which Charlie finally discovers the true meaning of unconditional love. Moving, poignant and often hilariously funny, this story of two brothers and one single-minded quest for cash promises to be one of the theatrical highlights of the season.

Contains strong language.

'One leaves the theatre practically walking on air'

Time Out

'Guaranteed tears as well as laughter'

Sunday Telegraph

'Profoundly moving'

Daily Express

Performances:

Mon 7 September 7.30pm

Tue 8 September 7.30pm

Wed 9 September 7.30pm

Thu 10 September 2.30pm & 7.30pm

Fri 11 September 7.30pm

Sat 12 September 4.00pm & 8.30pm

Tickets: £12.50 - £23.50 Concessions available.

Book online: www.sheffieldtheatres.co.uk

Box Office: 0114 249 6000

COMPETITION - win tickets!

We're offering a a pair of tickets each for the opening night of this brilliant show to 3 lucky Sheffield Forum users - just reply to this thread to tell us a story about your family. It can be short or long, funny or heartwarming, or just that classic old yarn that always gets rolled out at Christmas and other family get-togethers. Whatever it is, we want to hear about it, and by replying you'll have every chance of winning tickets for the show, as we will pick the winners at random from all the replies we receive. The competition closes on Thursday 3 September at 10.00am. Good luck!

Watch Neil Morrisey on GMTV talking about the show here:

http://www.gm.tv/videos/star-guests/36611-neil-is-rain-main.html

Come on, don't be shy and post us your memorable family stories. It can just be a quick one-liner if you like - and there might just be a couple of free tickets in it for you!

I never met my wife's grandparents but by all accounts they were a real couple of characters.

Her grandma's speciality was asking her grand-kids if they wanted some sweets, and when they said yes, telling them to look in the pocket of her coat to see what they could find. On putting their hand in the coat pocket, all they would find was....grandma's false teeth.

Her granddad would delight in getting his false eye out at family get-togethers, putting it in unsuspecting people's drinks while they were out of the room and so on. Hiliarious.

On reflection, I'm probably glad I never did meet them....

We had a great family holiday during which we celebrated my son's third birthday. He got to spend the day making sandcastles on the beach and he remembered it and talked about it for months afterwards.

One day, soon after he'd started school in the reception class I went to pick him up, and said (as grown ups do) "Have you had a good day?"

His face lit up and he said "YES!! It was the one where I made sandcastles on the beach!"

My family come in all shapes and sizes. There is me and my partner who share our house with 2 rabbits, 3 guinea pigs, and our latest addition the puppy.

The family seem to have grown and grown. Originally we intended to get 2 guinea pigs to keep one another company, however we have actually ended up with all of these!

We all get along really really well. Everytime we have got a new member we have had concerns and worries about how the house dynamics will be affected. But as of yet everything goes great. The puppy loves to stand next to the rabbits and watch them in amazement - we're sure it won't be long until they all curl up to sleep together at night.

But with this ever growing family it is becoming harder and harder to go to bed at night because we just want to play and fuss them all!

Overall our family is full of lots of love and care for one another, we all look out for each other and make sure that everything is going well. We see each other through the good and the bad - could anything be more perfect?

I never met my wife's grandparents but by all accounts they were a real couple of characters.

Her grandma's speciality was asking her grand-kids if they wanted some sweets, and when they said yes, telling them to look in the pocket of her coat to see what they could find. On putting their hand in the coat pocket, all they would find was....grandma's false teeth.

Her granddad would delight in getting his false eye out at family get-togethers, putting it in unsuspecting people's drinks while they were out of the room and so on. Hiliarious.

On reflection, I'm probably glad I never did meet them....

My brother and I had a grandma (she was sooo lovely but unfortunately passed away before she could see us grown up as adults) - she always did 'the sweet thing'. When she wanted to get us out of the room for whatever reason (as I later found out she would be talking to my Dad about her brother dying of cancer which we, as kids were unaware of) she would tell us to go upstairs and look at what Grandma had in the jar behind the dressing table..... so off we'd trot to find out and when we got there, heaven! The jar was full of lovely sweets! So we'd race back downstairs an jump up and down and ask if we could have one... only to be told that no, we couldn't have one - not before tea. We'd be so let down! There was hours to wait until tea so it meant having to eat ALL the vegetables put before us before we could even get a whiff of those sweets!!

Ah well, happy days bless her soul.

I moved away from home at 18 and in the subsequent 11 years haven't always made it a priority to get back to see my family as much as I could have. We all met up last weekend for a meal for my grandparents 60th wedding anniversary in a pub they used to run long before I arrived. At one point someone suggested a photo of the two of them with all of their descendants. There were 15 of us in the photo and my sister who was stood next to me said to me, "Imagine, none of us would even exist if gran and grandad had never met." It was such a profound moment about the importance of family and the unbreakable bond it brings. We were both quite overwhelmed and shed a tear. I am so lucky to have the family I have.

My family is my foster family. My real family I don't get on with. However, my earliest memories of my foster family are when I was in the Children's Home where my foster mum was the Officer-in-Charge. We used to sit on her bed on a Sunday morning when she had slept in the night before and sing songs, have breakfast together and have a cuddle with her. You'd never hear of it happening now unfortunately because of "regulations". We were always made to feel part of a big family there and it was just lovely. Sunday mornings aren't the same any more....

Archived