Which soft top,MX5 or MGF?

yep - everytime you mention muslim you hear bad things.

Newer models had changes to the head and gasket - i personally don;t know anyone with a newer one who has ever had head trouble.My neighbours just bought a Lotus - excatly the same engine yet we never hear of the head going on them!!

MX5 by a country mile! I've never driven an MGF, but i've read plenty of negative stuff and it's a Rover

MX5s on the other hand are bulletproof, been around for years and bags of fun. Try to get a 1.8 over a 1.6 though, there's a lot of difference

Newer models had changes to the head and gasket - i personally don;t know anyone with a newer one who has ever had head trouble.My neighbours just bought a Lotus - excatly the same engine yet we never hear of the head going on them!!

Yes I know of people who have put lotus head gaskets on them.

That is probably because no one ever does any mileage in a Lotus.

I'm a Austin Rover nut so I'm bound to say the MGF. However, the larger variants of the K series are known for head gasket issues, so take your time looking and try and find a car that's had it's HG recently replaced.

The Mazda also is a good car, but if it were my money I'd pick the MG.

Paranoid, how the heck did you afford to insure an MGF at 18? I'm 18 and struggling to get quotes on wheelbarrows of under 4 figures, let alone cars...

If you could let me know (either here or by PM) who you were with, what ballpark your quote was in etc. I would appreciate it greatly.

Archived