Whatever happened to fred hartleys motorist discount

jamesey

I think that Fred died some years ago, in the late 1950's i worked at a garage on West st, Hartleys was then based at a private house with storage at the rear for collecting the motor parts [ 51 Monmouth St ] his sons came round in a Commer van to garages selling smaller items nuts bolts etc.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but wasn't Fred Hartley an Ex Sheffield footballer not sure which team,when he retired from sport he then went in to the retail trade. I remember he had a large shop at Manor Top in sheffield next to where Neto is today just behind the Elm Tree pub,it was a bit like Wilkinson's is today sold a bit of everything.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but wasn't Fred Hartley an Ex Sheffield footballer not sure which team,when he retired from sport he then went in to the retail trade. I remember he had a large shop at Manor Top in sheffield next to where Neto is today just behind the Elm Tree pub,it was a bit like Wilkinson's is today sold a bit of everything.

He used to have a place on Queens Road in the basement of another shop, later he opened a place off Herries Road near the bottom opposite Bramalls gold room then it just disappeared.

When I was a young lad in the motor trade I used to collect parts from Freds at the back door of a shop on West st near the Saddle pub,Fred alwaysn made a cup of tea for me.When he died in the sixties his son Russ took over the business and expanded it considerably but it eventually went belly up.

he had another son called Ashby Hartley, I went to school with him at Tapton around 75/76/77......I remember the big store in Hillsborough, it did sell everything and was THE place for cheap rubbish in those days, I used to buy all the X juke box singles they sold there, no one was doing that in the mid 70's and you could get very cheap records that way

Archived