Taboo: save the planet - stop breeding

Will you make a difference?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Will you make a difference?

• Yes, less children is a good idea
    • Yes, but let others have fewer kids not me
    • No, I will have as many kids as I feel like
    • I don't believe a word of it

Too many people. Too few resources. Too much pollution. Too much carbon.

Reported earlier this year by the The Ministry of Defences internal think tank:

"The Earth’s population has grown exponentially in the last century, and rapid climate change of the kind that we have seen before would have more dramatic human consequences, resulting in societal collapse, mega-migration, intensifying competition for much-diminished resources, and widespread conflict."

The answer is in your hands - stop having so many children.

Will you limit your breeding to make the world better for your child?

I wish the government would make its mind up.

If they don't want people to breed, why do they offer so many financial incentives to people to have children? If you have more than two kids you get given more in benefits than you would earn my working so no wonder council estate scratters keep churning them out!

The birth rate in Britain is below 2, so if left our population would go down anyway. The only reason it is rising is due to immigration.

No we shouldn't have less children, we should be having more! Then we wouldn't need immigrants to fill our job vacancies.

I can't believe the governments of the world do not acknowledge or even mention this(with the exception of the likes of China). The world is heading for disaster if immediate action is not taken to stem population growth to manageable levels......and this will be in most of our lifetimes.

In 200 years the population of the world has gone from 1 billion to 6(both approximate)...imagine what will happen in the coming years....

It's interesting; I wonder how many of us could afford the basics we buy if the world's population was much smaller. What am I on about?

Well, a few years ago (pre-EU enlargement) I remember reading an article about the town of Reading in Berkshire. Local business people were unhappy because the labour pool in the town was too small, which was leading to corner shop workers and burger flippers being able to demand £9 - £10 an hour since there was no supply of cheaper alternatives for employers to go to. Of course these business people will be happy now since there will be a ready supply of eastern Europeans willing to work at minimum wage (or below if they are agency workers, until the law changes).

Now, extrapolate that situation worldwide, and the 7p an hour that Bangladeshi garment workers are paid to produce your Primark £8 jumper is going to jump to something more like 20p an hour or more, since there will be no ready supply of cheaper labour elsewhere in the world to go to. Primark shareholders aren't going to let their dividends drop, so your jumper is now £24. Hmmmmmmm.

It's interesting; I wonder how many of us could afford the basics we buy if the world's population was much smaller. What am I on about?

Well, a few years ago (pre-EU enlargement) I remember reading an article about the town of Reading in Berkshire. Local business people were unhappy because the labour pool in the town was too small, which was leading to corner shop workers and burger flippers being able to demand £9 - £10 an hour since there was no supply of cheaper alternatives for employers to go to. Of course these business people will be happy now since there will be a ready supply of eastern Europeans willing to work at minimum wage (or below if they are agency workers, until the law changes).

Now, extrapolate that situation worldwide, and the 7p an hour that Bangladeshi garment workers are paid to produce your Primark £8 jumper is going to jump to something more like 20p an hour or more, since there will be no ready supply of cheaper labour elsewhere in the world to go to. Primark shareholders aren't going to let their dividends drop, so your jumper is now £24. Hmmmmmmm.

So the burgers are more expensive - we eat fewer of them and are less fat.

The jumpers are more expensive we buy fewer of them and consume fewer resources. The foreign workers earn more. Everyone wins, until we get too much immigration, then the whole thing goes wrong.