Would you commute by bicycle if..

Tony

If there were secure bike and kit lockers dotted around the town centre? Maybe with a shower to freshen up?

What about some training to build your ability and confidence? How about a mobile bicycle repair man in town?

What would it take to get you out of the car or off the bus and onto a bicycle?

If there were secure bike and kit lockers dotted around the town centre? Maybe with a shower to freshen up?

What about some training to build your ability and confidence? How about a mobile bicycle repair man in town?

Moving my place of work about 30 miles closer would make me more inclined to cycle to work.

For people who already work near home I guess the dangers of riding through traffic and being sweaty at work at the main concerns.

Alot, maybe a grand or two a month?

I wouldn't commute by bike to my current job way too far.

Nope, it's too far from Stocky to town, I'd be bloody shattered and I've have to leave at stupid o'clock only to get home at stupider o'clock!

Don't use the bus either as (with two people) it is more expensive than using the car, plus takes quite a long time.

If I lived close enough to walk I would do that as I quite like a walk at the start and end of work. I would walk for up to about an hour.

Stocksbridge to town on a bike takes about 25 minutes door to door and it is a pretty flat route depending on where you live in Stocksbridge, but you can push the last bit uphill. Is your car actually faster door to door or would you be able to have an extra half hour in bed if you went by bike? Your fitness would improve massively after just a couple of weeks so I wouldn't worry about that.

Seriously, if it was quicker what else would it take?

a map!

cycling from hillsborough into town looks a bit precarious to me - horrible 'bitty' cycle lanes, aggressive drivers and unclear road layouts.

if there was some sort of more apparent cycle route, i'd be inclined to use it.

however, in other places i have lived, these special routed end up the target of vandalism - i spent more time pulling drawing pins out of my wheels than i did cycling.

maybe it would take a london style congestion charge, forcing more people out of their cars, hence higher tollerance of cycling amongst the new found velo-heads... ? suspect that wouldn't be popular though.... :D

I do cycle to work, but it's not in the city centre. I do cycle into town for other reasons occasionally, but this would probably be more often if there was a secure bike parking. And even better if there was somewhere I could sling a pair of jeans on, and a locker for my helmet & what have you. I agree that the more facilities that become available, the more people are likely to take this form of transport.

Archived