Should fox hunting be banned....

Fox Hunting  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Fox Hunting

• It should be banned
    • It should NOT be banned
    • Couldn't care less.

I have many arguments with a toff at work who backs the fox hunting. He says that there was less than 50% of people in UK actually wanted it banned. this a poll to see what us in south yorkshire would want.

So simply -

Should be banned.

Should NOT be banned

THIS IS WITH DOGS BY THE WAY.

I think it should be banned, but fail completely to understand why they bothered. Its not like it was going to win them any votes. And there were much more important issues to attend to at the time. It was all a bit OTT really.

First of all I resent the word toff being used here and it shows the real reason why fox hunting was banned. I remember a comment made by a Labour MP just before the ban was being voted on. He said "This is about who runs this country, us or the bloody toffs". This was nothing to do with foxes, but more to do with the republican ideals of the labour party!

Hunting foxes with hounds should never had been banned. More foxes will suffer with the new methods of control. A fox hunt will kill 100% of all foxes caught. Someone shooting, trapping or using poison can never attain that level.

I don’t believe in hunting stag's with hounds though as that is just a sport and serves no purpose. Also hair coursing!

Hunting a fox in the country is on most occasions by request of the land owner / farmer. A fox can decimate poultry beyond your imagination! I know ive seen it and its not because the farmer didn't lock them up. I've seen strong wooden doors that have had panels torn off by a fox just to get at a few chicken locked up in a stable. Stable doors hold back horses.

Yes the fox has a place in the countryside, and they need control. They have no natural predators so WE need to keep them in check.

Chasing a fox with hounds is no different to the methods a fox uses to hunt say a rabbit.

Now its banned - there is the issue with all the hounds that are going to have to be put down - there are thousands of them and they can't really be kept as pets.

I think what serapsis says is true, it did seem to be a dig at the "toffs" rather than a reaction to popular demand.

Originally posted by serapis

I've seen strong wooden doors that have had panels torn off by a fox just to get at a few chicken locked up in a stable.

Well thats there own problem, they should get better locks then. If they have only got a wooden door which isnt strong enough to stop a fox (knowing that there are foxes) then they deserve all they get. Its a good thing that fox hunting is banned.

Originally posted by spyro2000

Well thats there own problem, they should get better locks then. If they have only got a wooden door which isnt strong enough to stop a fox (knowing that there are foxes) then they deserve all they get. Its a good thing that fox hunting is banned.

Foxes don’t use keys and locks and as I said the fox tore off a wooden panel.

The fact of the matter is a fox is a very good hunter and will also take any opportunity it can. It will kill indiscriminately even if it doesn't need the food. I’ve seen a goose with its head removed by a fox before. The body was left with no marks on it.

Archived