Cat owners should be more responsible.

I have just had six new windows fitted to the rear of my house. The fitters knocked out the old windows and in the process smashed several panes. They did a decent job of clearing up after themselves, but there was still a fair amount of broken glass left behind.

The woman next door was quick to notice this and wasted no time in knocking on my door to let me know about it: "I hope you are going to get rid of that glass!" she said. "We all own cats round here you know, and I'm sure you don't want to have to pay the vets bills for any cut paws".

It just so happened that I was about to clear it up anyway, as I wouldn't want the kids to cut themselves on it, never mind her cat! I nearly said as much, but owt for a quiet life, I bit my lip, and told her that she could consider it done.

It wasn't until later on that I realised what had happened. I had greed to clear broken glass from MY property so that her cat wouldn't come to any harm!!

She shouldn't allow her cat on My property! The amount of cat poop that I have to deal with in my boarders is wrong! and one of the little blighters has scared a pair of nesting blackbirds from our black bamboo tree.

I'm sure that if I let our Labradoodle run riot on her garden, the balloon would go up, but I don't. So what's the difference? :(

If a dog owner can be fined for letting a dog foul the pavement,park,etc, Then something should be done to make cat owners responsible when they foul peoples gardens,destroy plants,etc. Never all that "cats are free agents" Its a cop out! cats are pets for lazy people with no respect for other peoples property. Get a lead on them,walk them and clear up the mess!

Are cats classed as 'vermin' under UK law? (Serious question; they're classed as vermin - though people do have them as pets - where I grew up.)

When I lived in Lincolnshire, a local farmer used to get annoyed because I ate the pheasants (pheasants he had reared) which came onto my land.

He said: "YOU CAN'T DO THAT RUPERT! - I PAID GOOD MONEY TO REAR THOSE PHEASANTS! YOU CAN'T KILL MY BIRDS!"

I said : "**** off, Jim. - I paid good money for the plants which your pheasants ate ... Are you going to compensate me for the damage they did?"

"Ah, well, they're wild animals. - I can't stop them from eating your plants."

"Precisely, Jim. They're wild animals. - And if they come in my garden, you can't stop me from eating them, either."

Were I your next-door neighbour (on the other side) I wouldn't eat your neighbour's cat ... but I might sell it to a take-away if I caught it in my garden. ;)

If a dog owner can be fined for letting a dog foul the pavement,park,etc, Then something should be done to make cat owners responsible when they foul peoples gardens,destroy plants,etc. Never all that "cats are free agents" Its a cop out! cats are pets for lazy people with no respect for other peoples property. Get a lead on them,walk them and clear up the mess!

I never thought of it like that before, but I think you may have a point.

I totally agree and would support any change in the law that lets me shoot a cat that ventures on my garden.

I could probably unload this pile of cats onto the state if they did :hihi:

regarding the cats deposits on your property , pick it up in a bag and empty it in front of the cat owners front door , if they complain just tell them it is the result of your pets bodily functions (how can she complain ) she seemed concerned enough to come round about the glass perhaps she could concern herself with th 5 h i t

Are cats classed as 'vermin' under UK law? (Serious question; they're classed as vermin - though people do have them as pets - where I grew up.)

When I lived in Lincolnshire, a local farmer used to get annoyed because I ate the pheasants (pheasants he had reared) which came onto my land.

He said: "YOU CAN'T DO THAT RUPERT! - I PAID GOOD MONEY TO REAR THOSE PHEASANTS! YOU CAN'T KILL MY BIRDS!"

I said : "**** off, Jim. - I paid good money for the plants which your pheasants ate ... Are you going to compensate me for the damage they did?"

"Ah, well, they're wild animals. - I can't stop them from eating your plants."

"Precisely, Jim. They're wild animals. - And if they come in my garden, you can't stop me from eating them, either."

Were I your next-door neighbour (on the other side) I wouldn't eat your neighbour's cat ... but I might sell it to a take-away if I caught it in my garden. ;)

I'm not sure that they are classed as vermin in the UK or Lincolnshire Rupert, 'but they sure is a nuisance pardner!'

I have heard that cat mess can cause blindness in young children though. :mad:

Cats are not pets, they are wild animals. Unlike dogs they don't rely on their owners for food, shelter or company. They take all 3 if & when it's convenient. If they could turn door handles & use a can opener they'd never need humans for anything!

Cats are not pets, they are wild animals. Unlike dogs they don't rely on their owners for food, shelter or company. They take all 3 if & when it's convenient. If they could turn door handles & use a can opener they'd never need humans for anything!

Isn't it illegal to keep a wild animal in captivity without a liscence?:huh:

Archived