Enterprise works revisited

A recent thread on here, about the Marples bombing, prompted me to look into my family history - a daunting and mindblowing task if there ever was one. :help:

Anyway, apparently my grandad Harry Turton had his own cutlery firm named Dearden & Richmond. AFAIK it started off on Watery Lane around 1929, nothing listed during the war years, and reappeared in Enterprise Works St Mary's Road in 1948.

He died in 1959 and the firm was sold a year later.

Unfortunately my grandma suffered from Alzheimers during her latter years and threw out all documents relating to family history, so I really am starting from scratch.

All the trade directories I've found online only go up to 1911, no later, so I realise I probably need to go to the Local History section at the library - 2 kids + school holidays + hours researching = not a match made in heaven, so will have to wait for now. :wink:

If anyone has any information on Enterprise Works, the company in question, or the cutlery trade in general I'd be very interested to hear.

Many thanks M x

Apologies - forgot to add -

If any lovely forerummers ( creep creep ) indeed lovely lurkers happen to browse any junk/antique shops etc and come across cutlery marked Dearden & Richmond, I'd love to get hold of a piece or 2!

I know, I know, long shot but them that don't ask don't get. :heyhey:

Originally posted by retep

1948 Kellys just confirms your info.

H. Turton proprietor Dearden & Richmond Enterprise Works, St. Mary's Rd

Thank you for that retep - I appreciate you looking it up. Incidentally, do you know how often the directories are published?

Originally posted by Strix

There's a shop on Ecclesall Road that may be able to help

Useful link thanks strix. I've had a good look and it seems the products they sell are newly made, but the Sheffield Knife Book looks very interesting!

As you can tell, I'm pretty new to all this so am very grateful for the help. :thumbsup:

Thank you ALL for your responses!

Originally posted by Strix

there's a cabinet of old ones in the shop

Do you mean cutlery or books? :suspect::D It would be nice to walk into the shop and find a canteen of cutlery made by my grandad! As he wasn't one of the large manufacturers I don't even know whether there's still any out there - but the hunt will go on.

Ah - do you mean Don Alexander on Ecclesall Rd? Hadn't thought of that. I'll look in today.

Originally posted by hutch

The firm was listed in the 1927 Kellys

That's interesting hutch - it means he started out earlier than I thought. I presume that was at the Watery Lane site?

Does anyone know when Enterprise Works was demolished?