Christian sacrilege

19th centuary "christians" stole loot violently from ethiopian christians in the name of the British empire.

story here

never mind the mumbo jumbo about people not supposed to be seeing it, its this bit that jumped out at me, its a BRITSH priest wanting it given back not an ethiopian or a foriegner, a brit.

"A British priest, the Rev John McLuckie, is backing calls for its return, not least because it was taken as booty by British troops in the 19th century. He told the Observer: "This is completely unacceptable. Sacrilege would not be too strong a word. It's loot, taken violently and inappropriately in the first place."

also this bit

"Professor Richard Pankhurst, a leading scholar on Ethiopia, has long campaigned for the return of these treasures. He said: "Tewodros committed suicide rather than be taken prisoner by the British army. His body was set upon by souvenir-seekers – officers and soldiers alike – who stripped him of his clothes and tore out his hair. The army looted the main churches and destroyed the Maqdala fortress"

although im proud to be british its these stories about discovery, violence, theft, rape and murder in foriegn places in OUR name that make me unproud about certain things.

19th centuary "christians" stole loot violently from ethiopian christians in the name of the British empire.

story here

never mind the mumbo jumbo about people not supposed to be seeing it, its this bit that jumped out at me, its a BRITSH priest wanting it given back not an ethiopian or a foriegner, a brit.

"A British priest, the Rev John McLuckie, is backing calls for its return, not least because it was taken as booty by British troops in the 19th century. He told the Observer: "This is completely unacceptable. Sacrilege would not be too strong a word. It's loot, taken violently and inappropriately in the first place."

also this bit

"Professor Richard Pankhurst, a leading scholar on Ethiopia, has long campaigned for the return of these treasures. He said: "Tewodros committed suicide rather than be taken prisoner by the British army. His body was set upon by souvenir-seekers – officers and soldiers alike – who stripped him of his clothes and tore out his hair. The army looted the main churches and destroyed the Maqdala fortress"

although im proud to be british its these stories about discovery, violence, theft, rape and murder in foriegn places in OUR name that make me unproud about certain things.

19th century and Christian do not accurately reflect modern Britain. Do you not feel proud of the millions we gave them during the famine?

So do you agree then that modern Britain should return things stolen in the 19th century?

If it's not ours and it has been asked for yes. I don't think we should be ashamed of everything we as a nation have done though.

The article states it was the church that stole it, stored it and have some on display. Why should the British feel ashamed?

The past is another country ... we can't change anything that happened.

Give it back if they want it, give back the Elgin Marbles and aboriginal skulls. Give it all back to wherever it came from and let's concentrate on our own heritage. Why fill our museums and seats of learning with other countries bits of old tat and rammle?

And whilst they're at it, they could give us back our ancient town cross which they've got hidden somewhere in the British Museum.

If it's not ours and it has been asked for yes. I don't think we should be ashamed of everything we as a nation have done though.

The article states it was the church that stole it, stored it and have some on display. Why should the British feel ashamed?

it was british troops in the name of the british people for the christian (british) church that stole it

The past is another country ... we can't change anything that happened.

im not saying we should or could change it, just we should step back a bit, we are NOT this perfect state that certain people perpetuate, our morals ARENT perfect, "our" religion isnt perfect.

and we should not just follow some blind pride about our heritage, we HAVE done some heinous crimes in the past, and indeed these days too, we should think about them and try to make sure they dont happen again

im not saying we should or could change it, just we should step back a bit, we are NOT this perfect state that certain people perpetuate, our morals ARENT perfect, "our" religion isnt perfect.

and we should not just follow some blind pride about our heritage, we HAVE done some heinous crimes in the past, and indeed these days too, we should think about them and try to make sure they dont happen again

It's not very likely to happen again, is it? We're probably the most civilised country in the world, if you gauge it by bending over backwards to flagellate ourselves, not just for what our recent Governments might have done, but things done hundreds of years in the past.

Other rather, to have people like you flagellate us for it. Personally, I accept no responsibility for anything that happened before I was adult enough to cast my vote, and even then, probably not for most of it.

it was british troops in the name of the british people for the christian (british) church that stole it

And the church that is keeping it and putting it on display. British troops are generally just the fodder for the wealthy. I'm sure someone somewhere ordered them to be there.

I think you're attempting to find shame where in all honesty there shouldn't be any. I doubt even the Ethiopians want anyone to be as ashamed as you are.

For one Christian church to refuse to return it to another seems profoundly wrong.

And the church that is keeping it and putting it on display. British troops are generally just the fodder for the wealthy. I'm sure someone somewhere ordered them to be there.

I think you're attempting to find shame where in all honesty there shouldn't be any. I doubt even the Ethiopians want anyone to be as ashamed as you are.

so you dont think its shameful trudging round the world whether in the past or now, killing, raping and stealing for OUR OWN ENDS?

Archived