"Deliberate" Road Rage?

I was travelling home last night and something happened, which I can only describe as "Deliberate" road rage.

Now you might say that all road rage is deliberate, however this was especially noticeable beacuse of its avoidability.

I was turning right through a traffic light controlled junction. As I came to the junction I crossed the line on amber. It was unsafe for me to stop as there was a vehicle directly behind me, so I carried on through before the light changed to red.

However, due to the sequence of the lights, as ours go from Green to Amber, the set opposite go from Red, to Red & Amber. The vehicle that was waiting at the line opposite me floored it, and deliberatley sped off the line and moved their vehicle to the left. They then proceeded to beep and flash and no doubt call me all the names under the sun.

If they had have waited for maybe half a second before moving off the line I would have been well out of the way, and thus not causing anyone any problems!

These days I try and accomodate other drivers accidental mistakes - we've all been in the wrong lane at some point, or accidentally cut someone up without realising, however deliberate attempts at intimidation get my back up.

Has anyone else encountered this type of deliberate intimidation/road rage?

There's also clearly a flaw with the lighting sequence; one set should always go to red before the other set turns from red, for obvious safety reasons.

ISTR that the minimum timing is 4 seconds green to green. Red / amber might be back to back in some busy junctions, but as we all know, amber means STOP* so we should all be OK.

* wishful thinking. It's time for the return of the Amber Gambler campaign.

Amber means stop if it is safe to do so. If someone's right up your back axle, there is less risk of a collision by going ahead than there is by stopping; or, if you're already very close to the junction, it's safer not to risk slamming on the brakes.

Red-plus-amber means stop. It's a signal to prepare to go, but all too many drivers think it means go.

I know people who behave like this on purpose to, from what I can make out, 'teach other road users a lesson'. I'm not sure which government agency oppointed poeple like this to do this kind of work, however, it seems ironic that they are the ones making the roads dangerous!

I was travelling home last night and something happened, which I can only describe as "Deliberate" road rage.

Now you might say that all road rage is deliberate, however this was especially noticeable beacuse of its avoidability.

I was turning right through a traffic light controlled junction. As I came to the junction I crossed the line on amber. It was unsafe for me to stop as there was a vehicle directly behind me, so I carried on through before the light changed to red.

However, due to the sequence of the lights, as ours go from Green to Amber, the set opposite go from Red, to Red & Amber. The vehicle that was waiting at the line opposite me floored it, and deliberatley sped off the line and moved their vehicle to the left. They then proceeded to beep and flash and no doubt call me all the names under the sun.

If they had have waited for maybe half a second before moving off the line I would have been well out of the way, and thus not causing anyone any problems!

These days I try and accomodate other drivers accidental mistakes - we've all been in the wrong lane at some point, or accidentally cut someone up without realising, however deliberate attempts at intimidation get my back up.

Has anyone else encountered this type of deliberate intimidation/road rage?

Archived