Current British geniuses

Nagel

Who would you nominate as a genius producing work in Britain today. It can be anyone form the world of science or from the arts, from politics to economics.

I'll list the obvious one straight away who is Stephen Hawking.

And a personal favourite who I realise many will disagree with is Mark E Smith.

Any others?

mr hawking stands head and shoulders above the rest. no pun. seamus heaney is pretty impressive, as is Kazuo Ishiguro.

I agree with Kazuo Ishiguro. I wouldn't include Dawkins as his work is more an extension of Darwin's than purely his own.

And as for Dyson, well his vacuum cleaners are useless in my experience. We always seem to get them in rented holiday cottages and they seem much better at making a lot of noise than picking up dust.

I agree with Kazuo Ishiguro. I wouldn't include Dawkins as his work is more an extension of Darwin's than purely his own.

And as for Dyson, well his vacuum cleaners are useless in my experience. We always seem to get them in rented holiday cottages and they seem much better at making a lot of noise than picking up dust.

inclined to agree. he has done a lot for 'discussion' and challenging views though. not sure that would make him a genius. after all Jordan(miss Price) engenders similar bile and admiration from society. he does have a knack for explaining how it all works though, albeit in a very condescending way. as for Dyson, i wouldn't know, I'll ask the Mrs:-)

James Dyson comes a close 'third'

'cos of his skills at invention!

:D

Dyson is a love hate thing with me because most people see him as the inventor of the cyclone, he wasn't, he just found a clever use for it and then marketed it well.

All credit due, he did his thing...

If there's any mad inventors out there, I was thinking earlier if you could make me like a static charge device which collected all the floating dust in the room, less vacuuming...

If there's any mad inventors out there, I was thinking earlier if you could make me like a static charge device which collected all the floating dust in the room, less vacuuming...

The dust you collected would be radioactive, just like the dust which stuck to the screen of old style cathode ray tube televisions was:

http://www.imagesco.com/articles/geiger/radon01.html

Archived