Other immigrants not hated??

Yesterday on telly i was watching a programme called Michel Roux's Service, where he got 8 youngsters to learn how to become top restaurant front of house staff.

one of the top restaurants they used has a lot of staff and ALL are french and italian, not one english person works there.

over the years theres been a lot of hate, bile and lies spouted about immigrants in general (specially ones from certain regions or religions or races) seemed strange to me tho that a whole restaurant can contain not one english person and nothing ever gets said?

is it the type of immigrant involved?

or pure ignorance on the subject?

Restaurants often have staff reflecting the ethnicity of the cuisine they are serving. I only half concentrated on the program when it was broadcast but wasn't the restaurant serving continental food? If so it would make sense to have French and Italian staff, just as a Thai resaurant would generally have thai staff etc.

Restaurants often have staff reflecting the ethnicity of the cuisine they are serving. I only half concentrated on the program when it was broadcast but wasn't the restaurant serving continental food? If so it would make sense to have French and Italian staff, just as a Thai resaurant would generally have thai staff etc.

yeah i agree with all that, it just baffles me with all the talk of immigrants come over here taking our jobs, our benefits, our homes, our money etc etc theres actually one set of immigrants who really have taken "our" jobs but seem to not have garned the same anger???

yeah i agree with all that, it just baffles me with all the talk of immigrants come over here taking our jobs, our benefits, our homes, our money etc etc theres actually one set of immigrants who really have taken "our" jobs but seem to not have garned the same anger???

I would assume that for those of a, shall we say, "ethno-sceptic" mindset then the main times they are likely to spend in the company of people from overseas are in ethnic restaurants and whether it's italian or bangladeshi or japanese or thai then it's presumably a lot harder to rant on about what scum people are if they cook and serve your dinner once a week. Ditto I suspect quite a few racists if they fall ill and have to spend time in hospital come out with a more rounded view of "bloody foreigners" than when they went in.

My gran who was obviously brought up in a different era couldn't get over what a smashing chap the "darkie doctor" who sorted her broken wrist out when she was about 60 was and years leter wound up good friends with a black couple who joined her church....spending time with people breaks down barriers.

Probably in a lot of cases, but I learnt Polish from working in an Italian restaurant.

I don't think Brits have ever been very happy in a 'servile' role, but I'm sure there are thousands of British Asians working in Asian restaurants and 'take-aways'.

These establishments never seem to employ white people as waiters...I wonder why ?

well i presume some of it IS down to what andy said above, about wanting that authentic ethnic feeling.

then i suppose there is some of the other stuff......recruiting from their own locals, less english people wanting to work in a servile role.

thinking back im sure last time i went to the curry house in whitby there was a young white lass working behind the desk (waits for the stampede to say shes been kidnapped)

Archived