Pall mall closed due to chinese new year celebrations

The Chinese New Year isn't a religious festival, and its not considered exclusively Chinese. Its bright and colourful and fun. I don't think its comparable to any faith celebration - it has more in common with our New Year celebrations when Trafalgar Square is taken over by revellers. :partyhat: And it draws in the tourists.

That's a very good point

When Sheffield City Council added 'Happy Eid' to one of it's Christmas illuminations in town, the furious reaction on here was way out of proportion. Iguess muslims are the new whipping boys - at one time it was gypsys, then jews.

Unfortunaely some people need another group to hate.

Now if it was a muslim celebration thered be hell on, theyre not just celebrating their own culture but are actually affecting other londoners.

and not a peep on here?

I don't suppose too many sheffielders know that pall mall has been closed - I only know it from monopoly!

If some backstreet in sheff was closed so that a non white community could enjoy themselves, there would be outrage on here, with the usual bigots crying foul - perhaps clarkson will mention it later on.

fact is, if you fancy a chinese new year, get thi' sen over to manchester chinatown - it's a class do!

The Chinese New Year isn't a religious festival, and its not considered exclusively Chinese. Its bright and colourful and fun. I don't think its comparable to any faith celebration - it has more in common with our New Year celebrations when Trafalgar Square is taken over by revellers. :partyhat: And it draws in the tourists.

I seem to remember half London being closed every year for the London Marathon and the Lord Mayor's Parade.

By the way you could probably try checking your facts before starting a thread.

http://www.ealingtimes.co.uk/news/localnews/3707376.Traffic_restrictions_for_Eid_celebrations/

not sure what your getting at there, this thread was because normally on this forum theres a big downer on other cultures celebrating their cultures (normally when its muslims) but this celebration seemed to have gone below the radar, i think sometimes its deliberate as theres "good" foriegn cultures and "bad" ones obviously.

i never said these celebrations never happen in other cultures or indeed get in the way of everyday living

I seem to remember half London being closed every year for the London Marathon and the Lord Mayor's Parade.

yes but all those and the new years celebrations are ENGLISH culture, im trying to show the disparity between peoples perceptions of two differing foreign cultures, one obviously accepted more than the other

Archived