Your views on ford's s-max and citroen's c4 grand picasso

which car is better  

9 members have voted

1. 1. which car is better

• Ford s-max
    • Citroen c4 grand picasso

hi, im looking to but a newer car but carnt make my mind up what to buy, iv narrowed it down to what i feel to be the best 2 within my budget (12k ish).

obviously im not going to get a new one for that price but im hoping for a low mileage car about 2008/2010 reg.

has anyone on this site got an s-max or a grand c4 at the moment? and if so what are your views on them?

have you had any problems with with any of these vehicles?

any help or views you have would be helpful and may just give me the kick in the right direction.

many thanks john

hi, im looking to but a newer car but carnt make my mind up what to buy, iv narrowed it down to what i feel to be the best 2 within my budget (12k ish).

obviously im not going to get a new one for that price but im hoping for a low mileage car about 2008/2010 reg.

has anyone on this site got an s-max or a grand c4 at the moment? and if so what are your views on them?

have you had any problems with with any of these vehicles?

any help or views you have would be helpful and may just give me the kick in the right direction.

many thanks john

Before you commit to buy either of the above look at the New berlingo Multi space i was going to get one of the above and by accident happened to look round the top spec Citreon Berlingo its got everything the others have got plus sliding rear doors and its £3000 cheaper no regrets a brilliant car.

Before you commit to buy either of the above look at the New berlingo Multi space i was going to get one of the above and by accident happened to look round the top spec Citreon Berlingo its got everything the others have got plus sliding rear doors and its £3000 cheaper no regrets a brilliant car.

thanks for the advise but i have 4 children so need a 7 seater

we really need a motorist section on here, How does this affect life in Sheffield? Will the next poll be "Should I but medium or thick sliced Bread?".

i agreee on the motorist section, however im from sheffield and it will affect my life. thanks for your comments though :thumbsup:

Sheffield Discussions

Discuss Sheffield related news and issues.

again im from sheffield and i have an issue, do you not have anything better to do than troll round trying to spoil peoples threads at half past midnight?

I looked at both plus the galaxy but discounted the galaxy as I only need an occasional 7 seater (so mpv rather than people carrier). The s max is a nice looking car but I found the headroom a bit restricted in the rear and a bit overpriced compared to the c4. We paid 13k at the time for a <1 year old on an 08 plate with 8k on the clock and we now have 25k on the clock. We tried lots of 7 seaters before we decided on the c4 but a lot of them had very restricted views due to thick windscreen pillars, small mirrors and headrests getting in the way. I also like the versatility of the seating positions e.g. sliding rear seats, independently folding seats and a flat boot floor when the rear seats are folded. in terms of space I've managed to get 7 interior doors in with no problems and can get all the rubbish that comes with two toddlers (changing bags, pedal cars, bikes etc)

The main reason I went for the c4 was the fact that it comes with a very good 1.6 hdi engine which means £140 tax and not bad economy. We only have two kids but regularly drive sheffield to stuttgart or innsbruck and with a fully loaded boot and roofbox the car is more than capable of autobahn speeds. we tend to get 42mpg on the long runs and around 38mpg around town but driven steadily on the motorway we can get up to 55-60mpg. The dash takes a bit of getting used to with the central display and the centre of the steering wheel not moving when turning. I would recommend a manual rather than egs gearbox but that's just my preference. The only thing I miss comparing with previous cars is climate control (we have aircon only in this one) and cd multichanger but you can get a usb connection fitted in the refrigerated glovebox for your mp3 player to connect. The only extra we had fitted were rear parking sensors but in hindsight we should have had front sensors as well as it is difficult to see the nose sometimes when parking up to short bollards or vehicles with rear steps/tow bars

The only build quality issues we had - wheel arch liner came loose, internal panel on boot lid keeps coming loose (common problem) lock button on dash - symbol has worn off. biggest problem was locking wheel nut key sheared off (we change for winter tyres in Nov and back to summer tyres in March so it was used quite a lot more than most) swapped the locking bolt for standard bolts. one thing to ask the dealer relates to a recall - I recently took mine in for something minor to be told there's a recall which was "remove cylinder head and replace engine if necessary" this might not be something an independent dealer is aware of so be wary of a car patch selling you one with 30 day warranty (but should be covered by manufacturers warranty)

pm me if you need more info

I looked at both plus the galaxy but discounted the galaxy as I only need an occasional 7 seater (so mpv rather than people carrier). The s max is a nice looking car but I found the headroom a bit restricted in the rear and a bit overpriced compared to the c4. We paid 13k at the time for a <1 year old on an 08 plate with 8k on the clock and we now have 25k on the clock. We tried lots of 7 seaters before we decided on the c4 but a lot of them had very restricted views due to thick windscreen pillars, small mirrors and headrests getting in the way. I also like the versatility of the seating positions e.g. sliding rear seats, independently folding seats and a flat boot floor when the rear seats are folded. in terms of space I've managed to get 7 interior doors in with no problems and can get all the rubbish that comes with two toddlers (changing bags, pedal cars, bikes etc)

The main reason I went for the c4 was the fact that it comes with a very good 1.6 hdi engine which means £140 tax and not bad economy. We only have two kids but regularly drive sheffield to stuttgart or innsbruck and with a fully loaded boot and roofbox the car is more than capable of autobahn speeds. we tend to get 42mpg on the long runs and around 38mpg around town but driven steadily on the motorway we can get up to 55-60mpg. The dash takes a bit of getting used to with the central display and the centre of the steering wheel not moving when turning. I would recommend a manual rather than egs gearbox but that's just my preference. The only thing I miss comparing with previous cars is climate control (we have aircon only in this one) and cd multichanger but you can get a usb connection fitted in the refrigerated glovebox for your mp3 player to connect. The only extra we had fitted were rear parking sensors but in hindsight we should have had front sensors as well as it is difficult to see the nose sometimes when parking up to short bollards or vehicles with rear steps/tow bars

The only build quality issues we had - wheel arch liner came loose, internal panel on boot lid keeps coming loose (common problem) lock button on dash - symbol has worn off. biggest problem was locking wheel nut key sheared off (we change for winter tyres in Nov and back to summer tyres in March so it was used quite a lot more than most) swapped the locking bolt for standard bolts. one thing to ask the dealer relates to a recall - I recently took mine in for something minor to be told there's a recall which was "remove cylinder head and replace engine if necessary" this might not be something an independent dealer is aware of so be wary of a car patch selling you one with 30 day warranty (but should be covered by manufacturers warranty)

pm me if you need more info

So thats the 1.6 diesal hdi then any other info on recall problems.

Archived