Ecoli in veg'! are we under biological attack?

I have never heard of ecoli being in vegetables before, I thought the bacteria only lived in meat. This new strain is quite worrying, Is it a strange coincidence that it has emerged so near to the recent killing of the former al-Queda leader? Could we be facing a biological revenge attack or have cucumbers been tampered with so much that they should now feature on Deadly 60?

Makes you think doesn't it forummers? Penny for 'em!:)

The bacteria live in the guts of animals, but since the easiest way to contract an E.coli infection is from faecal/oral contamination, it doesn't stretch the imagination too much to see how a farm product ends up spreading an E.coli infection, does it?

I have never heard of ecoli being in vegetables before, I thought the bacteria only lived in meat. This new strain is quite worrying, Is it a strange coincidence that it has emerged so near to the recent killing of the former al-Queda leader? Could we be facing a biological revenge attack or have cucumbers been tampered with so much that they should now feature on Deadly 60?

Makes you think doesn't it forummers? Penny for 'em!:)

Like every other species we are under constant "biological attack" from other species either attempting to eat us or the resources we need to survive.

There's no need to invoke any kind of conspiracy to to explain this recent outbreak though, pathogens have been getting at us though every possible vector for hundreds of thousands of years before a certain paedophile warlord invented Islam.

Engineering a new bacteria is far beyond anything al-Qaeda have managed in the past (remember their most succesful attack used no higher technology than watches & boxcutters) and there's no reason to believe they have anything like the capabilities you imagine. Besides iirc this is by no means the first time people have contracted a dangerous strain of E.coli from vegetables.

The bacteria live in the guts of animals, but since the easiest way to contract an E.coli infection is from faecal/oral contamination, it doesn't stretch the imagination too much to see how a farm product ends up spreading an E.coli infection, does it?

I thought that live stock and vegetable produce were kept appart from source to shelf but I am always keen to learn and absorb new information. Is it impossible that this new strain of bacteria could have been placed into our food chain by our "enemies"?

This happened in the states about 6 years ago with lettuce at Taco Bell chains (mainly in the NYC area). About 200 people got sick (only handful died) due to the lettuce coming from Mexico with sub-par hygiene practices in place.

Like every other species we are under constant "biological attack" from other species either attempting to eat us or the resources we need to survive.

There's no need to invoke any kind of conspiracy to to explain this recent outbreak though, pathogens have been getting at us though every possible vector for hundreds of thousands of years before a certain paedophile warlord invented Islam.

Engineering a new bacteria is far beyond anything al-Qaeda have managed in the past (remember their most succesful attack used no higher technology than watches & boxcutters) and there's no reason to believe they have anything like the capabilities you imagine. Besides iirc this is by no means the first time people have contracted a dangerous strain of E.coli from vegetables.

There has been no suggestion of conspiracy, as no one has tried to cover anything up. The fact's are open for us all to see. Do you think the Government are holding something back from you?

I thought that live stock and vegetable produce were kept appart from source to shelf but I am always keen to learn and absorb new information. Is it impossible that this new strain of bacteria could have been placed into our food chain by our "enemies"?

Unlikely - more likely some organic farm is using manure as fertiliser and hasn't properly composted it.

Archived